Starting Divemaster training this week...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Guys!

I am really just nervous because I don't know what I am getting myself into. Plus I am kind of a shy guy so working with students I don't know will take some getting used to, but that is kind of the point of doing it, to get used to it.

I've known my instructor for over 6 years and have been on four overseas trips with him (in a group of course) so I know I have a top notch teacher.

As far as financial aspects, yeah I am not holding my breath. I want to do it for the personal accomplishment more than anything. I got my Rescue certification in '05 and have been putting off DM for one reason or another since then, but not anymore.

I am really just nervous because I don't know what I am getting myself into.
Man, don't worry about that. It's just another class, albeit a little longer and more intense than most recreational classes.

• There are going to be some physical challenges...swimming, treading water, etc, but they aren't hard for a person in average shape.
  • The book work and tests aren't anything you probably haven't seen before. Most of it is just common sense stuff.
  • The pool work is fun. You practice your skills and learn how to teach some of the basics.
  • The very best part is working with the students. Shy or not I bet you'll love it. It's not like you have to teach them about nuclear physics. It's basic stuff...clearing a mask, preparing their bcd, locating a lost reg, etc.
The people who don't pass are those that don't take it seriously, are hotdogs, or have really bad people skills or attitudes. Of course, you have to have good diving skills too...not great...just good.

As far as financial aspects, yeah I am not holding my breath. I want to do it for the personal accomplishment more than anything.
That's one of the best reasons I think. We all know diving costs most of us money rather than makes it for us. I hope someone is making some money in the industry. I just haven't me them yet. :D

Good advice K!

Good luck Hippster your gonna do fine. It seems that the more work we put into things the "luckier" we seem to be! So work/study/practice hard any you can do anything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom