Starting a scuba instruction biz...need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobertCFP

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, folks, perhaps some of you can provide some great insight. I want to hang up my shingle, so to speak, and train people to dive. We have one other instructor here in Del Rio, and he's running independent as well. He's got a trailer, compressor, several sets of student gear, all the trappings. He's making a pretty good go of it, too. I'd like to utilize many of the same ideas that have worked well for him over the past couple of decades.

However, when it comes to setting up the business, I think he's taking a few more chances than I'd feel comfortable with, particularly in areas the IRS likes to play in. I will be working with, but not for, a local dive shop. They really on just sell and rent equipment, so it will be somewhat of a symbiotic relationship than any sort of partnership.

So, the question I have for any independent instructors out there is this: What kind of business model have you set yourself up as and what have been the pros & cons? Some may have chosen to setup as an LLC or sole proprietorship or whatever. The only experience I've had with my own business is when I had a band...we were a limited liability partnership, which worked out well (even if the band eventually didn't :shakehead:).

IMHO, You should seek the advice of a local business attorney and CPA. I set up Lake Travis Scuba to provide dive charters on Lake Travis and I teach scuba through the LDS, as an independent instructor. I use the PADI Liability Release and associated forms after my attorney reviewed and approved their use. I set up as a LLC as recommended by the attorney.

It is good to get others advice but better to get the advice of those who will be there to protect your interests in the event of a legal situation.

The best of luck persuing your dreams and hope this helps.

Thanks much. It seems like the LLC is the way to go, but I've had a couple of individuals (I take it all with a grain of salt) who feel the LLC is more of a way for lawyer & CPAs to make money than for the business owner. Might be sour grapes, though :wink:

Talk with a lawyer but I believe one of the benefits with an LLC is your personal assets cannot be claimed in the event the business gets sued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom