Starting a Hydro Facility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to make some extra $$ to support my Nitrogen habit. Who knows, if it works out, maybe I can even dump the job I hate. So, here are some questions.

1. Where does one get trained to do Hydro testing on tanks?
2. How much would the initial investment be in setting up this kind of facility?
3. Is it something that can be done in the basement of my home?
4. How much do Hydro facilities generally charge?

Thanks

Brian

Quarrior:
I'm looking to make some extra $$ to support my Nitrogen habit. Who knows, if it works out, maybe I can even dump the job I hate. So, here are some questions.

1. Where does one get trained to do Hydro testing on tanks?
2. How much would the initial investment be in setting up this kind of facility?
3. Is it something that can be done in the basement of my home?
4. How much do Hydro facilities generally charge?

Thanks

Brian

1. You need to get a DOT assigned hydro inspector identification code and certificate, most of the testers in this area were trained OJT.

2. It would depend on the system and if perhaps you could find one used or not, in the area of $10,000 start up.

3. Yes as long as you invest in a proper containment (normally the casing used for testing is installed into a concrete floor) and energy dispersal arrangement.

4. Most are between $18 and $25 at the test site, sometimes dive shops take in cylinders acting as a middle man bringing them to a hydro station and these prices are normally higher.

make sure that you get the adaptors for the cokacola and O2 tanks, it broadens your market a little bit.

Don't even bother to focus on SCUBA if you want to do hydros (unless there is alot more business than I see in Canada)....

The best part of the business is SCBA. To be successful, you need to corner the firefighters and industrial users. These guys are regulated and don't mind spending money if it saves them hassles.

You have to become an expert on tanks, inspections, OSHA, air quality, hoses and regulators.

Before you invest a dime - find out who is doing the work in your area now and be sure that you can take thier business away from them.

There is also quite a bit of work doing fire extinguishers, you will find in most areas SCUBA is not the bulk of a hydro test stations work unless they are a SCUBA shop

Hydro-Test products in Stow, Mass, will sell you a complete hydrotest setup,
and train you to use it.

Keep in mind that the hydrotest business is more driving than hydrotesting - most hyrdo shops offer pickup and delivery.

Oh, found the catalog
barebones hydro setup $5900
basic setup with essential extras $1100
training (may be included with above) $650 one person, approx. half that if you can get in with an existing class).

You could do it in a garage but not sure about basement - zoning etc aside, do you really want to lug all those tanks down and up again.

cancun mark:
make sure that you get the adaptors for the cokacola and O2 tanks, it broadens your market a little bit.

...and metric for draeger tanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom