Starter Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buttonc22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got my open water certification from PADI and the dive shop i went through only teaches dive computers. So i was looking for a great starter dive computer for under $300. Any ideas?

I just got my open water certification from PADI and the dive shop i went through only teaches dive computers. So i was looking for a great starter dive computer for under $300. Any ideas?

Could you be a little more specific on what you meant by "only teaches dive computers".

Also do you have any idea what kind of diver you are going to be such as an occasional recreational vacation diver vs a more avid diver?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

So i was looking for a great starter dive computer for under $300. Any ideas?
It is hard to beat the LP Mares Puck price, of ~$175. The Suunto Zoop is another unit, under $300, that may be worth considering. I like the larger screen of the Zoop, but either unit should perform well, and both use a similar RGBM model.

As already indicated, it would be good to better understand what your dive shop does. It also may be worthwhile seeing what computers they sell - are they Mares dealers, Suunto dealers, neither, both? Befoire jumping on LP, you might at least give them a chance to 'bid'.

I've used the mares pucks. Great bang for the buck.

I ended up getting a Oceanic Veo 2.0. Under your $300 mark, 2 buttons (opposed to the pucks 1 - easy to get back to the main screen), and backlit

Has 2 algorithms, nitrox, planner, logging, downloadable (with an additional $100 cable - got mine off eBay for 75).

I've been happy with it, easy to use and download (the pc logbook software is functional, not polished but functional.)

I changed out the wristband to a bungee (easy to do in 10min and for under $0.50 in bungee)

BRad

id go zoop or D4i
easy to use all you need for a long time!!!

Scubapro/SubGear XP-10 is an excellent choice!

Could you be a little more specific on what you meant by "only teaches dive computers".

Also do you have any idea what kind of diver you are going to be such as an occasional recreational vacation diver vs a more avid diver?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I think he is referring to the fact that some open water courses are now done only with computers and no dive tables.

I think he is referring to the fact that some open water courses are now done only with computers and no dive tables.
That is most likely what the near future will bring..not saying that I completely agree with it, but it sure looks that way..

Back
Top Bottom