Started my PADI Open Water Certification today!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, a diver with a handful of dives under his or her belt shouldn't be going to 100-ft, AOW or not. If you have four checkout dives then take the AOW class, that'd still gives you nine total dives in your entirely life. One hundred feet is a long way to the surface if you screw up.

I completely agree. I don't plan on going that deep or going for AOW until I have at least 15-20 dives under my belt. My goal is sometime in February to be comfortable enough to do my AOW cert. I hope to get a few dives in each month between now and then.

---------- Post Merged at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Just picked up an Aqualung short sleeve rashguard for my confined water dive on Saturday.

Thank you El Mar Dive Shop!

Hi Mike,

First off, congratulations on your daughter's upcoming birth. My son is just over a year. It's an amazing experience.

If you're spending 4 hours in the pool, you'll be happy to have some kind of exposure protection. Even warm pool water feels pretty cold after a couple hours.

I hope you keep on having a blast in class. I did. The first few open water dives were okay, but there was a lot of time spent on a platform just waiting around to do skills. After that, when we actually got to swim around and see interesting things, it improved fast.

Have fun and learn a lot!

Thanks for the comments everyone!! Class day 2 is tomorrow, and then we are in the pool on Saturday!! Can't wait!!

I'm probably going to pick-up a shorty rash guard for the pool portion. So the BCD doesn't rub.
With current pool temps, I might recommend a Lycra skin instead, unless your session is all day. Last time I was at the city pool for a class a few weeks ago I think the temp was 87 degrees. My pool is 90 right now. Great sun protection and you can always use it under any wetsuit to help make it glide on and off. I've been doing all my DM training pool work this summer in my skins. I did get a bit chilled duiring one long class and will probably use a 3ml for the long sessions from now on.
And, I wouldn't dive wet without a skin under the wetsuit. Plus, on surface intervals, I pull my wetsuit off and the skin gives me full sun protection, dries quickly and is much more comfortable. The skins are often 25-50$ at local shops around here, I see them on sale all the time. Saw them on sale at Saguaro recently.

With current pool temps, I might recommend a Lycra skin instead, unless your session is all day. Last time I was at the city pool for a class a few weeks ago I think the temp was 87 degrees. My pool is 90 right now. Great sun protection and you can always use it under any wetsuit to help make it glide on and off. I've been doing all my DM training pool work this summer in my skins. I did get a bit chilled duiring one long class and will probably use a 3ml for the long sessions from now on.
And, I wouldn't dive wet without a skin under the wetsuit. Plus, on surface intervals, I pull my wetsuit off and the skin gives me full sun protection, dries quickly and is much more comfortable. The skins are often 25-50$ at local shops around here, I see them on sale all the time. Saw them on sale at Saguaro recently.

This is what I bought today from El Mar...

Rashguards - Red Night

I think we are at an indoor pool, but I could be wrong. I know it's in Tempe.

Thanks for the comments everyone!! Class day 2 is tomorrow, and then we are in the pool on Saturday!! Can't wait!!

I'm probably going to pick-up a shorty rash guard for the pool portion. So the BCD doesn't rub.

You could do that... or just wear a tshirt. I actually did mine without a tshirt and was OK (other than getting a little too much sun). When you go out to the lake, you will be in a wetsuit.

Adam

Finished Day 2 of the classroom portion of PADI OW cert!!!!!!

So today we finished up with the classroom portion of my PADI OW certification. We finished reviewing chapters 4 and 5 of the Open Water Manual. We spent a lot of time using and learning how to work the PADI eRDPmL. Figuring out NDL's, and pressure groups. Multiple dives in the same day and determining service intervals. We took the quick quiz after chapter four (Got 100%), and then we took our 50 question final right after we reviewed chapter 5. I got ONE question wrong on my final!!!! 98%!! I knew which question I got wrong too! I was so pissed...

We also filled out our paperwork to get free DAN+ Student coverage while doing our OW training. I was very happy to get this, because I do plan on becoming a DAN+ member and getting DAN+ coverage.

We also discussed what's beyond PADI OW. We covered a little bit of adventure diver, AOW, Deep Diver, and even a little bit about what you would look to do to go deeper than 130'.

So the classroom portion is done.

This Saturday we are in the pool for our first confined water dive. We started to talk equipment; mainly dive computers and SPG's. Still debating on whether or not I want to at least buy my reg, SPG, computer, and Alternate reg before we hit the lake on the 15th.

One step closer!!!!

04.gif

This Saturday we are in the pool for our first confined water dive. We started to talk equipment; mainly dive computers and SPG's. Still debating on whether or not I want to at least buy my reg, SPG, computer, and Alternate reg before we hit the lake on the 15th.
If your class comes with the gear included, I would hold off until after you finish the OW dives. It will give you a better idea of how you will be using your gear and what you want. (Even if it doesn't include the gear, I would hold off.) Before I did my OW dives, I had my eye on a certain reg. After I did the dives, I went back and completely changed my mind, as well as ruled out a few second stages, and even picked a different octo than I thought I would get.

They will be providing us with all the necessary equipment except our basic 4 piece (Mask, Fins, Snorkel, and Boots). We also have to provide our own means of timing our dive times at the lake (i.e. a watch or dive computer).

I guess it does make sense to wait. It's almost like getting a free trail with the schools gear.

Back
Top Bottom