Star Dancer, PNG - Rabaul - Feb 2005?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DontLieToMe

Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking of going on a trip that is out of Rabaul. Anyone with experience with this area and the boat?

Hi,

I have been thinking about doing this trip as well. I was on the Star Dancer this Feb, doing the Kimbe Bay trip. Comfy boat, very competent and friendly staff and great food(once the chef, Fat *******, got onboard). Had a great time and would love to go on the Star Dancer again.

After the Kimbe Bay trip, I spent some time in Rabaul/Kokopo. Since I´m more of a fish guy than a wreck guy, I wasn´t really that impressed with the diving in the Rabaul area. By PNG standards the diving in the Rabaul area really isn´t that great.

I don´t think the star Dancer spends any time here, but instead heads straight down to the south coast of New Britain. I have no experience of this area, but the Star Dancer divemasters that had done the trip said it was amazing. Of course, that´s what you would expect them to say....

Maybe I´ll see you on the boat in Feb!

/Olof

I have a reservation for July, the airport that you fly into is Hoskins, it used to be Rabul, you knew that right? Anyway, PH's Star Dancer does have the Rabul schedule up for Jan., and Feb. Iv'e heard that the South Coast Itinerary is great, SD used to take that coast often but then changed to the Witu and Fathers. I'm excited for the trip, Feb sounds allot closer than July but I'll take what I can. Are you planning on staying at Walindi?

The New Britain trips are to and from Rabaul which is nice since it has good air connections from Moresby - several flights a day - non-stop.

DontLieToMe:
The New Britain trips are to and from Rabaul which is nice since it has good air connections from Moresby - several flights a day - non-stop.

Then why do my reservations say Hoskins. from Port Moresby to Hoskins PX 202, and back from Hoskins to Port Moresby PX 203? Have you checked lately that the flights to Walindi (where the Star Dancer leaves from) are out of Hokins airport? Possibly that you are thinking on a trip that Star Dancer goes to that is different than their usaull Fathers and Witu"s

That's right. During January to March they do trips out of Rabaul to New Britain. The following is a snippet regarding these trips from Capt Alan Raabe.

Over the years we have managed to try and fine tune FeBrina and in retrospect Star Dancer as well to have the boats working out of different locations and itineraries to best suit the weather conditions at that particular time of year. Also each itinerary does suit different divers / photographers. The most popular itineraries are the

Walindi – Fathers’ Reefs - Witu Islands - Walindi and the Walindi - Witu Islands - Kavieng (on this run we usually do New Hanover going North and Fathers’ going South). These itineraries are done when the weather (supposedly) is at its optimum April / May - till mid June; September – October – November – mid-December.

Wet Season goes January – February with March the shoulder season on the North Coast. The high mountain ranges of New Britain then produce a rain shadow on the South Coast of New Britain; the South Coast then enjoys its dry season. That's when half the FeBrina crew jump on Star Dancer (including myself, if possible) and we do a kind of co-share. These trips leave from Rabaul and return to Rabaul (including Duke of York Islands) go down to Water Fall Bay, dives the reefs in the bay and then overnight to Lindenhaven, Gasmata area. This South Coast is my favourite area and not only for the diving. There are fresh water rivers coming out of mountains, coming straight up out of the jungle. The Blue Hole (which we dive) is a fresh water spring, the source of a river is 180ft deep and the size of a swimming pool, crystal clear and blue in colour. We are now in the Solomon Sea not the Bismarck and the Solomon Trench at 30,000ft deep is up there with the deepest parts of the worlds oceans and the contours of this trench comes in close at Lindehaven. The upwellings from the trench brings in cooler nutrient rich waters and as I said it's my favourite place to dive as it is the most diverse place I've ever dived. Now I'm not talking big stuff here (although we do have quite a bit of wide angle) for instance we dive an old jetty. On one dive we saw three Frog Fish (two varieties) Mimic Octopus, Fondosa Rinopious, Harlequin Ghostpipefish, Robust Ghostpipefish, Purple Leaf fish, Stargazer, and now I'm making it up. Anyway this is Alan’s Heaven. Nudibranchs that you don't find in any books Japanese airplanes, sink holes and we've only scratched the surface.

DontLieToMe:
On one dive we saw three Frog Fish (two varieties) Mimic Octopus, Fondosa Rinopious, Harlequin Ghostpipefish, Robust Ghostpipefish, Purple Leaf fish, Stargazer, and now I'm making it up. Anyway this is Alan’s Heaven. Nudibranchs that you don't find in any books Japanese airplanes, sink holes and we've only scratched the surface.

This is the stuff that dive dreams come from, the anticipation of the unseen and a promise of what is there!

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :dazzler1: :07:

caymaniac:
I have a reservation for July, the airport that you fly into is Hoskins, it used to be Rabul, you knew that right? Anyway, PH's Star Dancer does have the Rabul schedule up for Jan., and Feb. Iv'e heard that the South Coast Itinerary is great, SD used to take that coast often but then changed to the Witu and Fathers. I'm excited for the trip, Feb sounds allot closer than July but I'll take what I can. Are you planning on staying at Walindi?

Hoskins and Rabul are NOT the same!! Hoskins is farther west of Rabaul which is in the north of New Britain Island. That being said, Rabaul had major reef damage in a volcanic eruption years age. It is coming back, but still not as good as elsewhere in the area. Gee, don't trade Rabaul for the Witus or the Fathers!! It would be a bad trade!

If you get the chance, do check out the dives at Kavieng. Its in New Ireland.

Hoskins is in West New Britain whereas Rabaul is in East New Britain. The volcano in Rabaul really affected everything, that is why the city is "moving" to Kokopo.

pilot81:
If you get the chance, do check out the dives at Kavieng. Its in New Ireland.

Hoskins is in West New Britain whereas Rabaul is in East New Britain. The volcano in Rabaul really affected everything, that is why the city is "moving" to Kokopo.
Do check out www.scubakavieng.com

Back
Top Bottom