Star Dancer in Milne Bay.....February 26th to March 8th.....c'mon people!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You never know. I wonder whether I'll prefer Milne Bay or North New Britain. I've heard that Milne Bay is a muck divers paradise - but since that term tends to paint a not so pretty picture - it's usually called critter diving. And I think that the Star Dancer tweaks its itinerary to have a good mix of reef diving AND muck diving. It's that variety that I like best about PNG.

When I was there last - off of north New Britain we dove Kimbe Bay (reefs and muck dives), Witu Islands (reefs and muck dives) and Father's Reef (primarily just reef diving). We stayed in Kimbe for a day, then did 3 days in the Witus, then 3 days at the Father's Reef area, then back to Kimbe for another 1.5 days of diving. Father's Reef was a where we saw more big stuff but there was alot of small stuff on the reefs too - but I kind of missed the black sand dives during the 3 days we were there.

I've heard that Milne Bay has more of a 50/50 mix of the both.

Maybe we'll plan a charter in the next year or two to a different spot. Fiji, Indonesia, Cocos Island....those are on my hit list in the coming years.

I'm curious to see how you rate Milne Bay vs Kimbe Bay. I've heard the same as you've described above, that there's some great muck in the Witus, the Fathers are pretty much all about pelagics, and that Milne is sort of a middle ground.

If you're looking for a change of location, definitely go for Indonesia. Komodo, Raja Ampat, Ambon, and Lembeh may be the only places that will match the diversity of PNG. They don't have PNG's wrecks, though...

Maybe we'll meet you in Komodo a year or two from now!

I'm curious to see how you rate Milne Bay vs Kimbe Bay. I've heard the same as you've described above, that there's some great muck in the Witus, the Fathers are pretty much all about pelagics, and that Milne is sort of a middle ground.

If you're looking for a change of location, definitely go for Indonesia. Komodo, Raja Ampat, Ambon, and Lembeh may be the only places that will match the diversity of PNG. They don't have PNG's wrecks, though...

Maybe we'll meet you in Komodo a year or two from now!

Yeah....that sounds like a plan!

Back
Top Bottom