Staph infection and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pedo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Someone I know (not me, really!) got a staph infection on the foot during OW class. Antibiotics are clearing it up nicely but what to do about boots. Can they be sterilized or just thrown out? Boots are cheap enough I guess.

You could disinfect it by soaking it in Sanizide solution. Just ensure that the bootie is entirely soaked through with solution and it's left in there for the requisite amount of time. 10% household bleach and water would work too but probably wouldn't be very good for the neoprene.

thanks, never heard of it but sounds like the real deal!

"SaniZide Plus Surface Disinfectant
SaniZide Plus Surface Disinfectant effectively helps eliminate the hazards of cross-contamination on environmental surfaces. The quaternary ammonium compound is a broad spectrum disinfectant but contains no alcohol. The non-corrosive formulation of Sanizide Plus will not damage lenses, cements, plastics, rubber, or metal surfaces including steel plating, aluminum and brass. Ready to use. Effective against TB, HIV, Hepatitis A, B, & C, MRSA, VISA, VRE, and CA-MRSA. EPA registered.

fill'em up with bleach, let them soak for about 15 minutes, then rinse them out. It's no worse than doing a pool dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom