Standard Dive op. rating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
it seems to me that there should be some type of standard dive operators rating based on what the customer felt about that dive op. that rating should be based on the dive ops safety record and a standard report any customer can fill out and post it. just an idea. would make it much easier for someone coming to hawaii to make an informed decision based on how customers rate them.

Sounds great! Would you like to start the website?

Just one question: what do you do when a sour-grapes competitor starts to abuse the system and post poor reviews about their competition? And how do you determine which reviews have merit, and which don't?

I have found that the variety of factors that divers consider when "Rating" a dive shop is all over the place and therefor may not reflect correctly upon the shop.
Example...
An experienced diver goes with a shop that stresses safety may feel that he/she was short changed by having to surface early due to an "air hog" in the group, whereas the "air hog" feels he had a great dive because he was glad to have a guide watching his air. And to top it off the DM on the dive missed a mask problem with yet another diver because they were babysitting the "air hog", so a nearby Inst/DM (from a different shop) came to the aid of the diver and handled the situation.
How would that shop be rated????
You have one happy diver (air hog), one dissapointed diver (short changed), and one diver lucky to be alive and non the wiser (and with our luck, they would be mad because there wasn't food served on the boat).
I know this may seem extreme, but any dive professional working here in Hawaii can relate to such a example.
I think word of mouth is the best rating system providing people keep it honest and don't make it personal.
The crew/dive professional's behavior and personality can make or break a dive shop reputation faster than a fatality.
OK I'm off my soap box.

Great example Scubadrewvideo

While I do think the concept is a great idea, I agree with KrisB, there are those that would abuse it and post poor reviews for personal gain. This is already happening here on scuba board and by word of mouth.

I don't know how it is on the other islands, but here on Kauai there are those that spread rumors, post comments or report false claims, purely to try to hurt their fellow dive professionals/operators.
Scuba diving is a sport and is suppose to be fun friendly competition, not be personal attacks. I believe we should focus on our own dive shops and better each other with our marketing, customer service and product we offer.
WE as dive professionals should focus on keeping our divers safe, having fun and 'be better' for positive things, rather then try to hurt each other. You are not the 'better' diver/dive shop, if are a bully.

**ok now I am off my soap box*

there already is a site that persons review based on experience, yelp.com click on the honolulu link or where every you want to check on,, also a good site to review food and other activities and no i am not affiliated with them nore receive any money for advertising for them,,

also to answer,,,, which is the best dive shop,,,, is like answering ,,,, where's the best dive in hawaii? is there really an answer or only opinions,, everyone likes or dislikes different things ie personal service~ being left alone, hand held dives~be back in an hour dives, wrecks~reefs, deep~ shallow,,, the list goes on and on

Great idea. However, turnover alone makes this not feasible. The turnover rate of epmployee's at dive shops on the island is such that a shop's service can go from OUTSTANDING to PURE CRAP in a matter of weeks, and then back again to OUTSTANDING.....

Just my personal experience......

It sounds to me like something SB could do that might be pretty useful. I have seen some pretty heated threads arguing about the merits of dive ops in the Caribbean. So long as it was clear that it was popular vote (so SB can't get sued for defamation), then I think it would be really good idea.

Back
Top Bottom