Standard 80cft side-mounted tanks for CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bernie...

You might like this...

This a chest mounted Triton...clipped off to any standard or modular BCD...using standard back-mount cylinder as diluent/bailout...

You can see the small oxygen cylinder is mounted via cam band and S/S mounting plate horizontally to the bottom of the Triton cover-bag...

This is an MCCR...Dive Rite is about to introduce something similar...which is ECCR... called the Optima CM...

They are not as as expensive as a typical back-mounted CCR...but having said that...they're not cheap either...Dive ready...you can plan to spend $6000...USD...

Personally...Between the two...I prefer the manual Triton...

W.M...

View attachment 575810
As it’s the one you’ve purchased and that the Choptima is just now in production and the standards/training instructors is just now nearing completion w TDI.

Prism quarry.jpg

Another thing to think about, you don't use the bail out. It is just there in case you need it. Other than a test breath it sits dormant. It is not uncommon to find a rebreather diver have the bail out way out of VIS and maybe hydro. Last filled a couple years ago.

The little 2-3L rebreather bottles. Those are consumed during the dive. Easy to refill. Easy to change out. Easy to do a different DIL mix for different dives. You can refill them with a little baby booster in the parking lot. You run them down during the dive, but you always have a full set of bail outs.

a lar 6 or 7 is the same

a lar 6 or 7 is the same

Please define...''the same''

The LAR 6 is a military shallow water oxygen rebreather...the 7 COMBI is closed circuit oxygen rebreather...again shallow application and NITROX semi closed...

There is also the Aqualung F.R.O.G.S....Amphora...C.R.A.B.E....and the M.O.D.E...all military application only...all with depth limitations because of military use applications...

The Triton...and the Optima CM are actual CCR rebreathers...that civilians can purchase...and receive instruction on...

One of our SB members has already had the Optima CM down to the 400 ft range...

W.M...

LAR 6.jpg
LAR 7.jpg

amphora.jpg
crabe.jpg
frogs.jpg
mode.jpg

It might take a couple of dives to get used to chest-mounted CCRs. In OC diving, you aim to keep the chest area clear - at least those who sell BPW gear tell that to the owners of recreational BCDs.

Availability could be an issue, too. I found just one instructor for the Triton in Germany, and Dive Rite has no sales representative here. It often takes a year to get the CE label, which is required to sell the Optima CM. But I can do a try-dive on the Triton to find out whether a chest-mounted CCR would be an option.

Another thing to think about, you don't use the bail out. It is just there in case you need it. Other than a test breath it sits dormant. It is not uncommon to find a rebreather diver have the bail out way out of VIS and maybe hydro. Last filled a couple years ago.

The little 2-3L rebreather bottles. Those are consumed during the dive. Easy to refill. Easy to change out. Easy to do a different DIL mix for different dives. You can refill them with a little baby booster in the parking lot. You run them down during the dive, but you always have a full set of bail outs.

You're correct about the common use of bailouts. What I have been doing lately, though, is getting my deep bailout filled to a little over the regular pressure, then when the mix has had time to settle, I analyse it and then transfill to my dil bottle. I don't do my own trimix fills, except occasionally when I put the Helium and/or Oxygen in then get it topped off at the shop.

I have found that with my 3L steel CCR cylinders, the accuracy of mix can be a little erratic, it seems much simpler to fill an 80 bailout and then I only have to enter one gas on the various computers etc.

For a day's diving, I can just get shallower/shorter and keep the bailout even for a second transfill and dive. Sure, I throw a little helium away at the end of the day but for normoxic mixes its not a huge deal.

@W W Meixner I'm curious if you have experience using Dry Gloves or even Si tech rings with a dry suit and hitting the inflate with the Triton? I just wonder if cold water diving would end up making the chest mount a deal breaker in this scenario or if it can be done one handed to inflate with a glove system that has rings leaving your other hand free for other tasks, like using a down line in strong current? I've been running through the debate of which first CCR unit to buy and am currently debating between O2ptima CM and KISS Spirit Sidewinder, I see them as similar with KISS back mounting the horizontal cylinder and O2ptima chest mounting and then both allow a sidemount tank configuration.

@W W Meixner I'm curious if you have experience using Dry Gloves or even Si tech rings with a dry suit and hitting the inflate with the Triton? I just wonder if cold water diving would end up making the chest mount a deal breaker in this scenario or if it can be done one handed to inflate with a glove system that has rings leaving your other hand free for other tasks, like using a down line in strong current? I've been running through the debate of which first CCR unit to buy and am currently debating between O2ptima CM and KISS Spirit Sidewinder, I see them as similar with KISS back mounting the horizontal cylinder and O2ptima chest mounting and then both allow a sidemount tank configuration.

I am diving the CM O2ptima and dive it dry in cold water. I use the Ultima Dry Glove system and have dove it with two suits. One has the standard low profile inflation button and the other has the slide button. While I prefer the slide inflation valve I don’t have an issue accessing the button in either configuration.

One of the nice things is how many different configurations you can dive it in depending on the dive you are executing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom