stand alone cam band with weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasoncassanova

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
how likely would a stand alone cam band with lead weights strapped at the bottom of the tank accidentally slip off? is there a difference in using a plastic buckle or metal one?

I've used a simple short weight belt with two 2kg weights on the bottom of a single Al80 several times with no problems. (It's even ditchable in an emergency!)

I've used a simple short weight belt with two 2kg weights on the bottom of a single Al80 several times with no problems. (It's even ditchable in an emergency!)

was it just a simple webbing and buckle? i've seen in some photos that a piece of flat rubber material that goes thru the webbing is added..

http://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/images/bccam.jpg

One option you may have is to get a standard cam band, then use something like XS Scuba pockets (XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts) to secure the weights. Using just the cam band can lead to fitment issues, which will reduce the gripping ability of the band itself. Also, they can attach to your regular cam band if it is low enough, negating the need for one more thing to mess with when swapping tanks (great for us lazy divers).

The rubber piece you are referring to is sometimes called a "skidpad" for reducing the amount of wear on the tank's finish from the camband. Halcyon bands use them, but I haven't really noticed any improvement in grip as my regular cambands sans padding do a great job of holding my tanks, but if it makes you feel better then by all means, knock yourself out.

I personally am wary of using a standard weight belt with nothing below it to hold it on, I just don't trust the gripping ability, especially when loaded down with a healthy amount of weight. I do attach a weight belt to my tanks when using aluminum tanks, but I place mine between my cambands to prevent the belt from sliding down. One time I did place the weight belt below the bottom camband and it kept slipping, screwing my trim up royally.

Peace,
Greg

I think it would work just fine.

the K

how likely would a stand alone cam band with lead weights strapped at the bottom of the tank accidentally slip off? is there a difference in using a plastic buckle or metal one?

No more likely than the camband holding your tank is likely to slip....

I like SS cam buckles versus the plastic variety, but really either is just fine as long as the strap is tightened properly.

Best wishes.

I've used what the OP just described with no rubber inserts. My camband buckle was plastic. The weight was very solidly in place and it never came off. I didn't keep on using it because I didn't like the trim I was getting and besides I moved to doubles shortly thereafter. But if it works for your trim, I have nothing bad to say about the system.

I've used a short weightbelt with xs weight pockets that kanonfodr was talking about. I didn't worry about the belt slipping off the tank because the boot stopped it, but I could never get it as tight as I would have liked using the standard weight belt buckle. I've notice that everyone here is saying "cam band buckle". That would probably make it easier to tighten properly - otherwise the skid plate might be useful.

The XS weight pockets are OK for a couple of pounds for trim or for warm water where little weight is needed but if you put anything more in them it causes the tank to roll on soft plates and even with hard plates leads to a top heavy feeling.

I always felt that the majority of weight beyond minor trim weights should be ditch-able, I will stay with that belief.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom