Stan Waterman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aw crap! Stan was (at least to me) always the consumate gentleman. Years ago I called him up to see if he would lead a liveaboard trip to the Red Sea with me. We met on a Sea of Cortez trip in the late 1970's. He answered his phone and we had a bad connection. He was on his portable phone (landline back then) and said he was in his neighbor's garage trying to find something he had loaned the guy or something. Funny what we remember. Anyway, turns out his dance card was full for the time period in question but he thanked me for the offer. That was in the early 1980's. I ran into him again at an UW Film Festival maybe 10 years later and he walked up to me and asked when I was going to have the next Red Sea trip he could go on. I was shocked he remembered. I did have Red Sea trip I put together and went on in 1993 but I think it was already in the rear view mirror by that time. Anyway, another true legend is lost and I am again sad. M

Saw him at the Boston Sea Rovers some years back. Wicked nice. RIP.

He came to Sydney in about 1990 or so and presented some of his films at a special dive night sponsored by one of the gear manufacturers/importers. It was a great night hearing him speak about his adventures.

Nuts. Got to see Stan speak once, at the Blue Wild Expo in Fort Lauderdale (back in 2017, I think). The bit that stuck in my mind was his explanation of how he got started; as he put it he was a blueberry farmer in Maine and happened to see Jacques Cousteau's The Silent World, at which point "I decided blueberry farming SUCKED!"

Vale Stan, his name said it all, WATERMAN!

There was once a piece in Skin Diver where I believe it was Stan who filmed whales mating while out cold. He was hit by a fluke and was stunned. The camera was running & filmed the sex act. When checking the film, he was shocked by what he captured.

Back
Top Bottom