Stainless steel snap bolt vs brass snap bolt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used brass for years with no problems. A drop of oil once in a while and they work fine....even in salt water. If you dive salt water every day then stainless may be better but for the ocasional diver, brass is fine.

the slices on my thumb from the brass that worked up an adge convinced me to standardize to stainless.

Last edited:
I dive stainless only. I have had a number of those fail at that, but they do last better than brass.

Between my gear and my save-a-dive kit, I have a supply of both. I always try to use SS for my SW gear and I favor SS for my FW gear also. I have lost a few items (light, collection bag) when brass snaps did not close properly. When I lend someone a snap or double ender, it is usually a brass on from my spares.

I have not had any problems with SS from Lowe's, Home Depot, or Tractor Supply. Even the brass snaps often have SS springs. Those that don't can be fixed with some spring material from McMaster-Carr.

Back
Top Bottom