Stainless Hat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bombay High

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any Sat divers here using stainless hats on deep mix ? Opinions on whether it gets appreciable colder with the stainless hats and a mix of 4/96 or thereabouts ?

Looking for a new hat, and contemplating steel, but cant find one to test drive on a sat dive with He reclaim.

Appreciate any input.

Ive used a 37 & 77 in the northeast in march where the water was about 38 with air temp of 25. I didnt notice a difference if that helps.

You might get a better response on www.offshorediver.com or cdiver.net

Posted on Offshore as well as Longstreath.

John Roat - the founder of Offshore is the guy who has convinced me to try Steel.

Diving Otter - I have tried one on a surface supplied air dive in the North Sea, and I too found no difference.
I have been told that the real difference is when you have a high helium mix (which accounts for most of my diving)

used a few stainless hats and never found any difference in body temp.

I did a lot of work in this area when developing the Sat Hat. The Savoie was the only Stainless hat at that time and was just free-flow air so we didn’t have much to go on. It turns out that Stainless is comparatively a poor thermal conductor. Here are some examples:
W/(m·K)
Name
Aluminum
Brass
Chrome Nickel Steel (18% Cr, 8 % Ni)
Copper
Carbon Steel
Iron, cast
Monel
Silver
Stainless Steel

As you can see, a bronze hat is another matter. I forgot I was in a hot water suit once and shoved my hand past the neck dam of a Miller hat to adjust or scratch something... big mistake. My head froze the rest of the dive. Fortunately it was on air instead of mixed gas.

Acoustics are better in a plastic hat, but not enough to make up for rugged factor — IMHO.

Last edited:
16Stainless Steel

As you can see, a bronze hat is another matter. I forgot I was in a hot water suit once and shoved my hand past the neck dam of a Miller hat to adjust or scratch something... big mistake. My head froze the rest of the dive. Fortunately it was on air instead of mixed gas.

Acoustics are better in a plastic hat, but not enough to make up for rugged factor — IMHO.

Good to know... didn't realise that. I will probably spring for the Stainless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom