Stahlsac Catalina or Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delhi Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to pick between these two bags, and it's a close call. I like the Galapagos because it looks even less like a scuba gear bag than the Catalina and it seems more flexible i.e. can be used as a regular suitcase/bag with greater ease. But the Catalina looks a bit more stable (although this is just an impression) and is clearly the more popular of the two.

Any suggestions are welcome!

I just bought the catalina after comparing both side by sude. i felt the galapagos was just too big.

The catalina seems perfect and fits all my gear easily + a set of snorkel gear.

Leisure pro sells these for well below the prices listed by the manufacturer.

I have the Galapagos bag. Easily fits two wings, a backplate, a jacket BC, three regulator setups, Jetfins, Turtle Fins, drysuit undergarment, gloves, boots, and a partridge (including a pear tree). It's HUGE. Stability is really a function of your weight distribution, anyway, and if you put the heavy stuff to one side, your bag will tip that way. The wider bag does make it more likely that you'll have an unbalanced load at some point, but it's no worse than your typical rolling bag.

Been using the Catalina since before it was called the Catalina. On my third one. Hands down the BEST dive bag on the planet.

The old ones are anyway. They changed the zipper and the new ones blow. If you can find the older style - with the small wheels and the nylon zippers, you'll have a bag for life.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom