Stage Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pressurize travel bottle, turn off, tie off on gold line (main line in a cave) at first third, recover on exit, OPEN (duh)...

Apparently this is not the "only" way. That's why I'm questioning. I can't imagine swimming around with my slung or staged bottle open but I guess some are doing it and I'd like to know why they favor that approach.

Apparently this is not the "only" way. That's why I'm questioning. I can't imagine swimming around with my slung or staged bottle open but I guess some are doing it and I'd like to know why they favor that approach.

Two different things.

Swim around with your stage open or closed: -your choice.

Tie stage off and leave it somewhere: turn off, tie off, retrieve, turn on.

hope this helps.

Did you just say 80% O2? Oh boy, here we go again..........:no: I kid.:D
Haha Nice! :) I would have said 100% but I just saw a thread that made me laugh about not using 100% :)

Regarding your preoccupation with stage reg free flow...are you solo diving? I suspect that if my team members are the calibre that I'd choose to be diving with (conducting the kind of diving where stage bottles are required) they'd notice my reg free flow and take appropriate action. When I dive with a slung bottle of any kind, the valve is opened on the surface, the lines pressurized and then the valve is closed until it's use is required. I could be reading your post wrong and if so I apologize in advance but are you diving with your stage bottles "on?"
I am not solo diving, but I do take the approach of self sufficiency/redundancy. To be clear I open my slung cylinder valve at the surface and shutoff my inline sliding valve at the second stage. When I deploy/gas switch I just switch the inline valve over to on and begin using it. I like using them so far since I don't have to worry about turning on the cylinder valve underwater.

I do this ONLY if I am using inline shutoff valves at the second stage. If I am not using the shutoff valves then I will keep the cylinder valve shut after I pressurize the line at the surface. When I deploy I would just turn the cylinder valve back on. :)

These little guys:

http://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/adapters.shtml#31

Two different things.

Swim around with your stage open or closed: -your choice.

Tie stage off and leave it somewhere: turn off, tie off, retrieve, turn on.

hope this helps.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I was incorrectly using the terms stage and sling as though they were the same thing. Thanks.

Haha Nice! :) I would have said 100% but I just saw a thread that made me laugh about not using 100% :)

I am not solo diving, but I do take the approach of self sufficiency/redundancy. To be clear I open my slung cylinder valve at the surface and shutoff my inline sliding valve at the second stage. When I deploy/gas switch I just switch the inline valve over to on and begin using it. I like using them so far since I don't have to worry about turning on the cylinder valve underwater.
If your first stage freeflows will shutoff valve work as an over pressure valve by releasing the excess pressure?

If it will then it will freeflow as well essentially bringing you to square one if it will not the lp hose will be blown off your first stage due to high pressure and you will lose you reg which you could have used otherwise even if it flows

If your first stage freeflows will shutoff valve work as an over pressure valve by releasing the excess pressure?

If it will then it will freeflow as well essentially bringing you to square one if it will not the lp hose will be blown off your first stage due to high pressure and you will lose you reg which you could have used otherwise even if it flows

No and maybe. :) When I referenced Free flow in my posts above I was talking about free flow because of the position of my Second stage (facing up) then it usually free flows when I am in colder water and deep. In my previous posts I wasn't referencing a free flow based on 1st stage failure. I hope this clears that part up. That is why I like the inline shutoff valve. It just takes muscle memory and training to remember to open when you deploy.

I am not sure if your scenario would be the case, but I am sure it's possible :) If I as unlucky enough to find myself in that position I would have to switch off to my contingency deco plan and use my backgas for Deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom