Stage Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMS Workhorse (DIN) and ScubaPro MK3 /w 108 (Yoke).

The MK3 is just for "play" right now. Haven't fully bench tested it as of yet.

scubapro mk16s and mk25s with old style g250s on everything

Current setup is

Mk2 DIN with G200B for O2 bottle. (For 20 feet, the Mk2 is all you should need, plus it has O2-compatible parts available.)

Mk20 DIN with G250V for 50% bottle. (Same deal on O2 parts. And the swivel DOES make for nice routing, I'll admit.)

Would be all Mk17s/G250Vs, but $$$ is slowing the changeover, (low priority). The G250Vs are for sure, but I'm still up in the air about diaphragms for stage/deco regs. And I'm a committed hardcore diaphragm guy with Mk17s as backgas regs. Plus, SP is pissy about releasing O2-compatible parts for the Mk17. I know the o-rings are good to go, and the HP seats are Nylon-6,6, which is pretty dang O2-safe, but there is still the issue of the diaphragm being a huge source of fuel, (at least with pure O2) and the standard diaphragm-reg flooding issues. However, I am to understand that with proper turn-on procedures, (purge depressed and turning the knob SLOOOOOOOOOOW), flooding damage can be mitigated.

I'll probably eventually go to Mk17s for everything save the O2 bottle, which for 20 and 10 feet, a Mk2 is fine.

Sings: You like pistons, he likes diaphragms. He likes diaphragms, you like pistons. Pistons, diaphragms, diaphragms, pistons, let's call the whole thing off..
The Mk 14 is a diaphragm reg - not a great diaphragm reg, but it is one none the less.

I use MK 17 G250Vs for back gas and Mk 10 G250s for stage regs, and Mk 9 G250s for deco regs. (The Mk 9 is just a Mk 10 with a non-swiveling 5 port cap, so its simpler and even more idiot proof.)

I prefer the fully sealed Mk 17 for back gas use and I prefer the hose routing on both back mount and sidemount doubles.

The choice of the Mk 10 for stage use is based on it having good performance even at depth, low cost, cheap annual service parts and a great shelf life. For deco use it is also O2 friendly enough, easy to 02 clean and will survive a flood with no issues.

Maintence wise I only need to stock 3 kits to service everything - Mk 17 kits, MK 10 kits and G250V kits.

---

Mk 2s, Mk 3s, Mk 200s and Mk 2 Plusses all make good deco regs, but they lack the performance needed for stage use. They also make great inflation bottle regs though and I use a Mk 3 in that capacity.

The Mk 14 is a diaphragm reg - not a great diaphragm reg, but it is one none the less.

Well yeah, that's what the song is about - you see, there are these two divers...

I use Dive Rite RG3100's.

-Mitch

Apeks DST First Stage and XTX50 Second Stage. The turret makes it easier to deploy. I am also using an inline shutoff valve so I don't run the risk of free flowing without knowing it. I use AL40's commonly which are pretty slim so I would probably catch a stage reg free slow pretty quick. However when I use my AL80 stages they are more bulky and I could go a while without realizing I was free flowing. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom