Stage bottle tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In DIR perspective, does the tank valve of the stage bottle has to be DIN? :confused:

Just a question that pops up!!!

wunat:
In DIR perspective, does the tank valve of the stage bottle has to be DIN? :confused:

Why would one NOT use a DIN?

DIN offers a more secure connection and is less "cluttered" near the valve, not to mention standardization (your backgas regs/manifolds are already DIN)...

while I agree with VIE, I can say with certainty that many of the DIR gods (wkpp, JJ, et al)have used yoke on their stage/deco bottles. In fact I had one GUE instructor very strongly disagree that all regs should be din(mind you this was 6 years ago) I see in picturs that some safety bottles used in wakulla this year seem to be yoke.

cerich:
while I agree with VIE, I can say with certainty that many of the DIR gods (wkpp, JJ, et al)have used yoke on their stage/deco bottles. In fact I had one GUE instructor very strongly disagree that all regs should be din(mind you this was 6 years ago) I see in picturs that some safety bottles used in wakulla this year seem to be yoke.

I thought that DIN is the preferred valve and so on...................but seeing some where that some uses yoke, I had to ask. :wink:

So is there any reasons behind why yoke is preferred in some's cases?

This is better if you use DIN valve cylinders most of this time, "DIN valves are mandatory" for technical diving.

Jason Ooi:
This is better if you use DIN valve cylinders most of this time, "DIN valves are mandatory" for technical diving.

"Mandatory"? . . . Really? I guess that rule has not made itself known in my neck of the woods yet. While the DIN valve/reg connection is considered the "best" and most dependable, it may not be the most appropriate in all situations. Many divers that I dive with do rig their deco bottles with DIN valves, citing the dependability issue, but some, myself included, do not - for reasons that I will state shortly. Either way, I think it's a personal choice.

Getting back to the original question:
wunat:
Just a question that pops up!!!

While I am not DIR, I do subscribe to many of the well reasoned philosophies and teachings. Since this is a DIR thread I will attempt to answer it as such. As illustrated in this photograph from a "DIR" site:http://shop.extreme-exposure.com/images/halcyon_tankdecals.jpg, it is quite clear from the photo that the prefered valve of stage/deco bottles is yoke. It is my understanding that the rationale behind that preference is the relative ease - compared to DIN - of swapping the regulator from one cylinder to another while at depth, in the event of regulator malfunction. That is my understanding, BUT, as I said, I am not DIR and I'm sure someone who is can correct me and provide the correct explanation. In any case, the ease of changing a reg underwater is why I use a yoke valve.

Be Safe and Have Fun,
Capt. Dennis St Germain

cerich:
I can say with certainty that many of the DIR gods (WKPP, JJ, et al) have used yoke on their stage/deco bottles. In fact I had one GUE instructor very strongly disagree that all regs should be DIN (mind you this was 6 years ago) I see in pictures that some safety bottles used in wakulla this year seem to be yoke.

wunat:
So is there any reasons behind why yoke is preferred in some's cases?

I asked Peter Steinhoff and his answer is:

"No, DIN is the only choice. There are still some old yoke regs in circulation in the WKPP that haven't been replaced yet. The reason for that is simply because of the sheer amount of regs that the members have. I only have about 20 but I remember Jarrod said he had 50 or 60... And remember that a lot of the team members have been diving 15-20 years."

So I guess the answer to..

wunat:

would be, "only use a yoke when you've ran out of DIN regs and cannot beg, borrow or steal more?" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom