DIR- GUE Stage bottle rigging recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm aware of stage bottle rigging from Halcyon and Dive Rite. Obviously the Halcyon product would be fine with GUE divers. How about the one from Dive Rite?

I'm talking about this: https://www.diverite.com/products/bands/stage-bottle-rigging-kit/

I ask because I want to learn how to use a stage bottle at some point. I need to spend more money at an online shop before I qualify for free shipping. I could buy the rigging now.

The one with the string I like the best

because I make it myself

whistle whistle whistle

I could buy the rigging now.

or you could buy a Perdix, everybody's been doing it

The one with the string I like the best

because I make it myself

Exactly! If you make it your self its a lot cheaper and you can make it exactly the length you want it. I like very short rigging and only way to get that is to make it yourself. Most DIR GUE divers I know make there rigging as well. You don't need fancy H's on your rigging for it to be "approved"

Also if your a hose clamp guy then go with the Mcmaster-Carr 316SS McMaster-Carr ones they are by far the best ones you can get they are a little pricy but they will last you a life time. Only ones I have found that do not strip out no matter how tight you try and torque them.

And for string get yourself some "pull starter" cord for small engines. Super durable string that last alot longer then your regular run of the mill string. You can usually pick up a roll of it online for pretty cheep.

I'm aware of stage bottle rigging from Halcyon and Dive Rite. Obviously the Halcyon product would be fine with GUE divers.
Don't be so sure that halcyon products are always fine with GUE :)

But the rigging is actually fine. If you don't want to buy it because it's expensive, the easiest thing is to buy very similar material and do it yourself, as other people have already suggested.

I ask because I want to learn how to use a stage bottle at some point.
Do you want to learn alone? It can be a bad approach...

If you want to go for a better approach, that is, to learn it with someone else (hopefully an instructor), the easy thing for you is to see and check the riggings of your buddies.

I don't know that it wouldn't be compatible with GUE and they'll probably look at you funny, but I would say that you would be best off spending your money elsewhere. The line version from DGX for example is about $45. This is about as cheap as you can make them unless you're making a bunch of them. I keep the fuel line around for project cars as well as stage leashes and stage rigging and same with the line, but to buy a full roll of the line, tubular webbing, and fuel hose is not cheap.

I'm aware of stage bottle rigging from Halcyon and Dive Rite. Obviously the Halcyon product would be fine with GUE divers. How about the one from Dive Rite?

I'm talking about this: Stage Bottle Rigging Kit - Dive Rite

I ask because I want to learn how to use a stage bottle at some point. I need to spend more money at an online shop before I qualify for free shipping. I could buy the rigging now.
Clips are too big, sliders aren't fixed like knots are, and the tail isn't long enough. And you need two retention bands, not one. And you don't need a pull tab on it.

Get a Halcyon one or make one that's identical.

And for string get yourself some "pull starter" cord for small engines. Super durable string that last alot longer then your regular run of the mill string. You can usually pick up a roll of it online for pretty cheep.
Paracord works fine.

Notice that Halcyon, Light Monkey, DGX and a few others, along with DIY'ers make the stage rigging one way, only DiveRite makes it their way. Could be a reason for that.

@PfcAJ the webbing is actually tucked back into the "handle" so there is enough webbing to make a proper length tail, and I do like the pull tabs for restowing when diving with gloves but the retainers that I use are diamond braid bungee so the knot works just fine for that. Agreed on the clips and sliders though, the top one likes to walk around on the webbing which is super annoying.
Notice that Halcyon, Light Monkey, DGX and a few others, along with DIY'ers make the stage rigging one way, only DiveRite makes it their way. Could be a reason for that.
Dive Rite isn't the only one that makes theirs like that, but it's certainly not the "standard" rigging.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom