Stacking Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have made a few of those foarm tank racks to keep the tanks from rolling around in the back of my truck, I was wonderinf if it is OK to stack them on top of each other. I figured it would be OK, but I thought I would ask and see if anyone else does that or had done it with a bad experience...

Thanks
Phil

As long as you keep them from sliding off eachother lengthwise or from rolling off the pile it's not going to hurt anything. Sounds like you just need a bigger truck:)

Try putting a towel in between the two layers. The tanks will not slide as much with a towel as they would metal to metal.

TOM

Well I already have a suburban. I did how ever see one of the dive shops driving down the road last weekend with their truck and 20ft trailer. I looked at my wife and smiled, to whichshe just looked back at me and said "No Way!!!"

Thanks for the input on the tanks...

Phil

I don't think you need a 20 footer, unless you get a grill and mount inside, along with a propane hot water heater and generator. The generator and propane tanks will mount nicely on the tongue.....

Try tank protectors - they may work better than a towel as you just leave them on.. They're around $10 each and stay on the tank.. Great for VIP season too!

They stack them at the factory... At least according to the video I saw at PST and Luxfer

Thanks again everyone for the info.... I do already have the mesh protectors on my tanks and the others will be rented tanks. 2 of my friends are going to dive with me this weekend and I just was not sure with 8 tanks where I would put everything... I will stack them now, I did not think it would be a big deal...

THanks Dave in PA for your ideas too. I may have to work on that....

Phil

I put a towel between them and put a ratching type hold down strap around them, pulling them fairly tight together. Nothing slides or moves around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom