STA weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently picked up a used Halcyon 36# Pioneer wing + steel plate. I'm finding that I'm using a tiny amount of weight compared to my BC, and I'm starting to wonder if my STA is more negative than I supposed. Does anyone have a guess? It's not visibly weighted.

That's what I figured. Perhaps my old BC was just floatier than I thought.

Could you post a picture of the STA? there are couple types out there on the used market these days :)

here is the current model that comes with or without the black epoxy weight.

10-STA_c400.jpg

with the lead channel weight in place it's easily 7 or 8 total negative weight

Last edited:
oh, and if they're steel buckles, that's another 2lbs ish.
Most bc's are very floaty with all the padding they have in them. Not so much with a backplate

The steel backplate and STA add more than 12 pounds of negative buoyancy. Add the other hardware, and the lack of materials that are positively buoyant associated with typical BC systems, and you are at least 15-20 pounds more negative than with a traditional BC.

I dive a Halcyon Evolve with a couple HP100s and do not need more than a few pounds in salt water, and need to switch to an aluminum backplate in fresh water.

Weigh the rig subtract 2 lbs for the wing itself and that should be about the lead equivalent of the rig.....

M

What STA do you have.

They can range from ~1/2 lb to ~6 lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom