STA vs. STAless bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how do you attach those weights to your tank band? wont they fall off since i imagine that its only the velcro that will be holding the weight up.

I do the same thing- I add a little 2lb weight to my top cam strap (well used to do the bottom one, just started the top, still adjusting and tweaking). All you do is put in on the cam strap and close the velcro. Been doing this for about 20 dives or so and no issues.

Also, I dive a DSS rig that does not need a STA- tank is nice and snug :-D love it!

Golem Gear offers single wings with what feels like nylon/delrin rods at the cam strap holes. These keep the tank from rolling/shifting. They add no weight or height to the equation.

I'm using a ss plate with oxycheq mach v and don't use a sta mainly because it's to much weight in freshwater for me. I could see how one would be handy especially if you are switching between duals and singles alot.

I use an Halcyon STA when diving in the south. With the included 6lb lead weight and the plate's 6 lbs I need no extra weight on my belt. Also it keeps my head from hitting the DIN first stage installed with the DIN to yoke adaptor. Never felt out of balance, even with an HP 130.

By the way: English is not my mother tongue and I see people using the form: ...using an STA on my wing... should it not be a instead of an. Like in the phrase ...using a single tank adapter...

Sorry for the highjack. :icon5:

I am by no means an expert in the English language but I believe that the usage an STA is the correct one.

One uses 'an' before a word which starts with a vowel (e.g. an owl, an automobile, an ant) however that is dependent on how one pronounces the word, NOT how one spells it.

So for example, because of the way that Americans pronounce the word 'herb', i.e. with a silent 'h' ('erb), they would write an herb. Whereas people who use British English would write a herb because they pronounce the h.

The same with STA. You annunciate each individual letter when using the word (Es-Tee-Ay) and so it sounds as if it begins with a vowel, hence an STA.

Grammatically, "a STA" is correct in written form. "an Ess-Tee-Ehhee" would be correct if spoken. It's a subtlety in the english language that grammar shifts between the written and spoken word. That is one of the eccentricities of our language.

Grammatically, "a STA" is correct in written form. "an Ess-Tee-Ehhee" would be correct if spoken. It's a subtlety in the english language that grammar shifts between the written and spoken word. That is one of the eccentricities of our language.

I believe you are wrong. I certainly don't follow your rule. See, for example, A versus An: The Indefinite Article | Writing Guide | English Rules

Maybe you can google a counter example?

Cheers

Trantor

Trantor, yes, here is one from Purdue University Dept of English.

Articles: A versus An

There is also some great discussion that tout's both sides of the argument here: SHARP POINTS: An Ysterical Rant?

Notice in the article you site that the author focuses on the "sound" rather than type of letter... this implies that their basis is in the spoken language. Words meant to be read to one-self have slightly different rules than words meant to be orated. Plays for example, (especially those written by the british) use slightly different grammar rules compared to fictional novels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom