STA vs. STAless bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sleepapnea

Reaction score
I have a DR backplate w/ a 1 piece harness and an oxycheq mach v wing. have been using it without an STA for 4 months now and fine with it. A diver however suggested that i get a STA saying it holds the tank better thus more stable and comfortable. Is it really worth the extra cost?

It's a subjective thing... it's worth the cost if you think it's worth the cost, and that's not something other people can answer for you. In my opinion though, it's most worth it if you want to take additional weight off your belt by moving it to your back.

Maybe see if you can borrow one and try it out for yourself.

I found the STA wanted to turn turtle on me in a way that the straps alone didn't. Guess that extra inch or so of the STA placed the tank that little bit further back. Want to buy a STA?

The oxycheq wing came with an anti-roll stud so it can be used without STA. However, most (if not all) of the divers I see with bp/w use STA. Made me wonder if i'm missing something there. Thanks for the comments. I'll stick with my bp/w without the STA then.

Personally, I think the STA is a hold over from the time when people first began using steel backplates with single cylinders. Since the plates didn't have the slots for the cam bands, it was necessary. There is a lot of talk about backplates without STA not being as stable. That is not my experience from my diving and hundreds of outfitting I have done without them.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

For diving singles in cold water, a weighted STA can be a great way to get weight off the belt. My SS backplate and STA shaves 12-13lb total, which is very nice if the trim works out.

I actually just bought an STA for my rig. I like to have the tank bands on the STA, not threading them through the plate every time I pack and un pack it. It also makes switching tanks easier. It's subjective though, I have the same wing as you (actually an identical set up).

Danny

I had an STA for my single tanks when I would switch from doubles on my Halcyon plate. The single tanks always made me feel I would turtle any minute. Eventually I bought a Freedom plate for my singles. The cam bands hold the tank closer to my back and I have no problems with tank movement.

I have a Halcyon SS plate with STA and love it. I always feel very streamlined and never feel like I'm being turtled. I guess it's personal feel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom