St. Thomas - Good Diving but Overpriced Ghetto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not trying to stir the pot,but Ive been going to St Thomas for close to 5 years now and while some locals can be a problem,others open the hearts and are wonderful. I suppose anywhere you could run into some discourtesy. There is some wonderful diving and top flight dive ops on the Island.I suppose alot of it depends on knowing the lay of the land . I will continue to visit St Thomas and if anyone else would like some personal insight on the Island,feel free to message me.

CAPNVINNY:
I suppose alot of it depends on knowing the lay of the land . I will continue to visit St Thomas and if anyone else would like some personal insight on the Island,feel free to message me.

Thanks, but Catherine *lived* there for 8 years so I think I'll go with her insight on this.

Jamdiver:
Well most of what you've said is spot on.
The resentment stems from the dependence of a large part of populace on tourism and the attendant service culture that most develop with it.

I think it's more severe when you have a small island (small population) which has large numbers of tourists everywhere.

Driving up prices et cetera.

Islands that are not as dependent on tourism (such as Trinidad, Jamaica, et al) and have a diversified economy and a strong local culture don't seem to have as much resentment among the populace.

But that's just my 2 cents

Thanks, your two cents is worth more than two cents. :D

hey, I said before, I loved St Thomas, nobody said I had to stay there. I love the West Indies and was not allowed to work on the other islands being a US citizen.

Andy, what if they don't want *not* to be a US territory?

because Vieques kicked us out and then they had a fit when we closed our base in Puerto Rico, didn't they? Did they close Roosevelt Rhoades, I don't know...

catherine96821:
Andy, what if they don't want *not* to be a US territory?

because Vieques kicked us out and then they had a fit when we closed our base in Puerto Rico, didn't they? Did they close Roosevelt Rhoades, I don't know...

yes, I believe RR closed back in 2004 (i think it's being turned into an international airport)

but you know, military bases is a somewhat different issue...

as for who "wants" the US to stay, i think the majority of the population probably does want the US to stay. it means stability and at least a chance to make a living.

i just think they see US presence as the lesser of two evils. they don't necesarily want the US there, but understand the possible catastrophe if the US leaves

i went to school with several friends (all white) who felt betrayed by the US Government by the time we were done with graduate school. they felt they had been taught a lot of lies (i'm simplifying).

perhaps the disentchantment comes from the difference between the American dream and the American reality?

i'm just guessing

ScubaSam99:
Just returned from 1 week in St Thomas. The diving was good and the HMS Rhone on BVI a must. Beyond the diving St Thomas is one big S Hole!!! The only nice thing (including restaurants, hotels, nightlife and especially the locals) I could find on the island was the view!!!! It's unfortunate the natives do not appreciate what they have and they especially don't appreciate tourists. I know the constant flow of cruisers can be a beating but we're not all off the cruise boats. I'm not looking for any kind of adoration but simple common courtesy would be nice!!!

Bottom line, fly into St Thomas stay on St John Island or anywhere but St. Thomas!!!

I pretty much agree almost 100% with the above assement.

About the only ting left out was the crime (by the locals) that affects the downtown area and the fact that every car on the island has been wrecked at some point and time.

To me St Thomas had "not culture" anymore. The beaches, view and diving were nice, but the island was overpriced for what it was.

The only reason I'd go back is to use it to fly into if going to St John or the BVI. I might stay a night and let the wife do some shopping, but otherwise there are much beter places to go.

i went to school with several friends (all white) who felt betrayed by the US Government by the time we were done with graduate school. they felt they had been taught a lot of lies (i'm simplifying).

even more than most other governments, you are saying?

cause it needs to be relative to other governments to mean much.

Very curious, which governments do you like, and why? ...the people who felt betrayed, I find myself wondering where they are and what they are doing.

catherine96821:
Very curious, which governments do you like, and why? ...the people who felt betrayed, I find myself wondering where they are and what they are doing.

they turned libertarian and consider government possibly the greatest evil of all

i prefer a government that governs less, personally

H2Andy:

Not that it matters but it may put some things into perspective, your "several friends (all white)" comment piqued my interetst? What is your ethnicity? Additionally, being one who lived thru the Nam, your pic of Ho Chi Minh raised the hair on my neck. What's up with that?

ScubaSam99:
Not that it matters but it may put some things into perspective, your "several friends (all white)" comment piqued my interetst? What is your ethnicity? Additionally, being one who lived thru the Nam, your pic of Ho Chi Minh raised the hair on my neck. What's up with that?

as most people who know me on here know, I was born in Cuba, been in the US since 1980

as to Ho Chi Minh, it's a camp thing. you haven't seen "Apocalypse Now," I take it?

i find it very telling that you put down the St. Thomas "natives" and then ask those questions of me .... very telling

and that you use the word "ghetto" in describing what is in effect a third world country ...

it all fits together

Oh, Andy.

Ghetto is in the vernacular now.

My kids call places "ghetto" to mean sucky. NOTHING to do with color.

You need to watch the movie Crash and realize you deciding he is a racist for the way he describes something is...well, racist.

We all profile everyday, you are just doing it in the other direction.
it all fits together

I think you need to give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially when they are from Texas, or Jacksonville. I watch how people treat other people, that is the only way to judge.

Besides, if people like him, don't go to St Thomas, the pressure cooker gets some relief as a natural consequence.

I am sure a Borat Fan can be a little more tolerant of people's attitudes. :D

we describe everybody by race here in Hawaii, it's just another adjective.
I have to change the way I speak in Santa Barbara (white liberal PC friends) or risk getting stoned.

Get past the words, cause they vary everywhere. Trying to guess at the context just doesn't work anymore.

I don't think "it all fits together" too much anywhere anymore. That is why Crash was such a great movie.

Back
Top Bottom