St. Thomas Diving Operator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be in St. Thomas via cruise ship in March 2013 and I have been in contact with several dive operators and have narrowed it down to four operators and I am hoping some of you out there can provide me with some thoughts/opinions, they are: Admiralty, Blue Island, Aqua Action and Aqua Marine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, cruzbound

epointer,
Thank you so much for your input. I will put Admiralty as a last resort. Anyone else out there who can comment on the other three or if anyone has additional recommendations for me to look into? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, cruzbound

It's been some years since I dove with Admiralty for a couple of our open water check out dives on referral (we booked a private charter one day on a cruise ship stop on our honeymoon), but I liked them, and my wife was highly impressed with their patient approach. Over the years I've noticed that when they're mentioned on the forum, it's almost always quite positively.

I believe Red Hook is also reputable, but I've no firsthand experience with them.

I did a search to check that Red Hook was the proper name for that 2'nd op., and ran across this old thread. In it, back in July 2012, epointer posted in that thread. It may give you some useful info. (now granted, if fellow dive tourists are unskilled and bump into you, that's not the dive charter's fault, of course). And even a good op. can have an 'off day.'

Richard.

A couple of friends of mine run a boat charter and dive operation there. Both are wonderful people and divers.

They can set up any sort of custom dive trip you want to put together, along with renting you and any travel companions a condo or two.

https://www.facebook.com/PirateBayCharters

Check them out.

It's been some years since I dove with Admiralty for a couple of our open water check out dives on referral (we booked a private charter one day on a cruise ship stop on our honeymoon), but I liked them, and my wife was highly impressed with their patient approach. Over the years I've noticed that when they're mentioned on the forum, it's almost always quite positively.

I believe Red Hook is also reputable, but I've no firsthand experience with them.

I did a search to check that Red Hook was the proper name for that 2'nd op., and ran across this old thread. In it, back in July 2012, epointer posted in that thread. It may give you some useful info. (now granted, if fellow dive tourists are unskilled and bump into you, that's not the dive charter's fault, of course). And even a good op. can have an 'off day.'

Richard.
If the unskilled divers bump into you, then yes you are correct that is not the dive op's fault. But the lost reservation, and the pick up at the hotel that never happened is. Even after that when I made another reservation they told me to meet them at their shop at 7am (or something like that) and then ride to the boat them, the only person that was there was the one to give me directions to the boat. Just seemed like they had nothing in order. Maybe they were having a bad week. Don't know, but I will not use them again.

I would not blame a dive operator for the divers that have bad skills, but they even had a open water student finishing his skills with us...

Since you're cruising, either Admiralty or Blue Island will pick you up off the WICO dock. If your ship docks at Crown Point Marina (a few do) you can walk to Blue Island from there. Both cater to cruise divers. Blue Island will pick you up by boat right off the end of the WICO dock - I think Admiralty sends a van.

Aqua Action is out on the East End at Secret Harbor Resort so you'd have a cab ride to get out there. Their 2-tank morning dive leaves at 8:30AM, I'm not sure if you could get off the ship and over there in time. Definitely pay for a private cab if you try, the shared van cabs - although slightly cheaper - might make multiple stops before getting to Secret Harbor - since many resorts out there are a short drive in off the main road, you may not get there in time.

If you wanted to do that, I might suggest going a little farther into Red Hook and diving with Red Hook Dive - the former Sawyer's Dive. Every one of their staff is an Instructor and one of them will be in the water with you. Their boat leaves at 9AM.

When you return you could look around Red Hook - it's not much - a couple small blocks of shops/restaurants - and eat before returning to your ship. Molly Malone's is good - literally next door to Red Hook Dive. We dropped our gear on their lawn and ate there one night. Also cabs cruise by right in front for your return to Charlotte Amalie.

This is Molly Malone's (not us, but for a second I thought that was my buddy on the left) - notice the sign on the white building behind them:

Capture.jpg

IDK anything about AquaMarine.

Last edited:
Dove with Admiralty a couple years ago. There were just 3 divers and the DM. They were great and we would use them again.

EDIT At that time they picked you up @ the dock with their boat.

Red Hook is a great operation. I have dived with them (and many of the other companies in St Thomas) and found them to be the best.
They are professional and knowledgeable and take you to the dive sites that you want to go to...not just the crappy old dive sites that the operators that have cruiseship contracts take you to. You can check them out on TripAdvisor if you want more opinions.
Have fun diving in St. Thomas!

I have contacted Red Hook and depending on which port we come into is whether or not we can make their morning dive but even if we can make their morning dive time, they do not do pick ups from the cruise port and they told me a taxi will be $15 per person each way - so this ups the cost to dive with them to about $155 per person. This is a little higher than I would like to go. I have also been in contact with an operator calle Aqua Action that I think might be out towards Red Hook - can anyone verify they are out that way? Also, has anyone used them? They said they would pick us up at no cost. I am leaving towards them or Blue Island Divers. I kind of like Aqua Action if they are out towards Red Hook because they will probably not have the cruise ship crowds that the other operators will have.

Looking forward to hearing more input.

Thanks, cruzbound

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom