St. Martin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KyPete

Registered
Reaction score
We are considering heading to St. Martin this summer and were wondering how the diving is there. Any thoughts....recommendations...

Try searching this forum for key words saint martin and sint maarten. That will take you to the threads that have discussed this before. Also, Saba is supposed to be world class diving and it is accessible from St Martin by boat or air.

Rich Hagelin

If going to St. Martin the diving will be ok but not great. Don't expect too much and you will be fine. If you are looking for a real diving adventure then Saba is a must. Fantastic Wall diving.......since it's a volcano and sea life abounds. About a 20 minute plane ride over with a wild landing. Well worth the trip.

all4diving
:sharky:

...with Dive Safaris. We were on a Celebrity Cruise and had a days stop in St. Martin. The folks from Dive Safaris send a fellow out to meet me at the pier, drove me to the shop and we made two dives. One was on a very old wreck, all that was left was anchor and chain and some ballast. Second dive was "fish bowl" a low spot in the reef, with lots and lots of fish. I found the reefs to be healthy and in good condition, the dive charter was pretty good too. Not my favorite for that trip but we were well treated. The boat was fairly small and carried about 6 divers for the trip. Was affordable and provided a couple good dives. I'd do it again.....

all4diving once bubbled... .... If you are looking for a real diving adventure then Saba is a must. Fantastic Wall diving.......since it's a volcano and sea life abounds.

I head there (Saba) next month - can't wait.

Thanks for the info and link. Now that you have me fired up about Saba I have two more questions. First, is boating over in the a.m., diving, and boating back in the p.m. doable? In other words, is a day trip to dive practical (since flying over would be out of the question). Also, what would my non-diving spouse do while I was under the water?

KyPete

You can boat over and back but quite time consuming. Since your wife does not dive that might be the way to go though. We usually fly over, dive, spend the night, dive and return to St. Martin. Not much to do on the island but if you are on a day trip I am sure she could keep busy. Check with the folks at Dive Safar about your trip to Saba. I am sure they will be able to help you as they are a fine shop. They are located near Chesterfields at the docks not far from the cruise ships.

Have a great time

all4diving

:sharky:

KyPete once bubbled...
Thanks for the info and link. Now that you have me fired up about Saba I have two more questions. First, is boating over in the a.m., diving, and boating back in the p.m. doable? In other words, is a day trip to dive practical (since flying over would be out of the question). Also, what would my non-diving spouse do while I was under the water?

Hey Pete -
Taking the ferry over, 2 dives & ferrying back is doable on a day trip. Ferry leaves Simpson at 8:00 & Saba @ 3:30 (I think). If your dive is arranged in advanced, the operators work to make sure you get the ferry. Also, it isn't a real far roll from the dive boat to the ferry, about 25 feet!

Why not fly? WinAir offers some great deals to fly, often cheaper to fly, then ferry. Both make for a very exciting ride!! For more info - see Saba Deep site article on diving & flying. The Mikes (Bid & Little) at Saba Deep are very cool guys. I would highly recomend them, as do several others here on the board.

Also, I understand there are local land tours for the non-diving. Saba has some great hiking as well. Let us know how you make out & how you find the diving.

Jersey

Jersey:
Hey Pete -
Taking the ferry over, 2 dives & ferrying back is doable on a day trip. Ferry leaves Simpson at 8:00 & Saba @ 3:30 (I think). If your dive is arranged in advanced, the operators work to make sure you get the ferry. Also, it isn't a real far roll from the dive boat to the ferry, about 25 feet!

Why not fly? WinAir offers some great deals to fly, often cheaper to fly, then ferry. Both make for a very exciting ride!! For more info - see Saba Deep site article on diving & flying. The Mikes (Bid & Little) at Saba Deep are very cool guys. I would highly recomend them, as do several others here on the board.

Also, I understand there are local land tours for the non-diving. Saba has some great hiking as well. Let us know how you make out & how you find the diving.

Jersey

if you fly over to saba from st. martin don't you have to stay the night since you can't fly after diving?
Lynnemari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom