St Martin Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe from MN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We spent last week at Hotel Beach Plaza in Marigot and had a great time! I used Ocean Explorers Dive shop in Simpson bay and would highly recommend them. I dove three days and while the sites we were able to dive didn't have as much "stuff" as far as coral and plant life, I did see a fair amount of creatures. I got to see my first shark, a nurse shark hiding under a coral head. There were also many spotted morays (4 on one dive), sting rays, lobster, and a very large green sea turtle to name a few. The first dive of the morning was usually on a wreck and the second at a shallow reef. The water was on the rough side so our choices of sites was limited.

The staff at OE was very profesional and organized and the equipment seemed in good shape. We never had more than 6 divers and there were always 2 DMs and a third crew member. The boat is a little smaller than some I've been on so the entry and exit is over the side instead of steping off the back, but they have a good system and I had no problems. You are advised to take just what is nec. for the dives on the boat and leave everything else back at the shop. I was able to leave my gear there overnight for the next day and there were no problems.

Other people we talked to recommended renting a car but we took taxis to get around the island, they are plentyful and reasonble. It was $15 for me from my hotel to OE. When I was with my wife and another couple it was $6-$7/pp for the rest of our excursions to Phillipsburg, Grand Case and Orient Beach. Everything in Marigot was within walking distance of our hotel which was nice.

Regular SB member "Jersey" sent me her impresions of Marigot, St. Martin and Ocean Explorers. We used most of her suggestions and things turned out great!

This is what she had to say:

Marigot - Le Vie en Rose is quite famous, right on water, Weds is the Marigot market day. 2 fantastic pastry shops right along water, forget names, couple blocks down from Le vie en Rose, sip cafe & eat a steamy croissant while the chickens pick the crumbs. Other great restaurants in the Marina area. Le Gran Marche is the grocery store on the way from Marigot to Gran Case & has great cheeses, breads, stuff you won't find in the states. Hike up Fort Marigot - great view.

Lolos = the local bar-b-que up in Gran Case lining the road. 'The Talk of the Town' is my fav where $8 will get you bbq chicken, fried plantains & a beer. They are safe to eat in, as are the local 'grills' setup around the island.

Bring US dollars (or hit an ATM on the Dutch side as they dispense $$) as many of the French restaurants will go dollar=euro for cash. It is high season, so book reservations for fine dining. You can't go wrong in Gran Case. Paris Bistro is a fav, al fresco in Mullet Bay area. US dollars are universally accepted on island, no need to exchange. You may get some small change back in either Euro or Dutch currency.

Shopping is more expensive on French side - head to front street in Phillipsburg to haggle with the Indian jewelers & other goodies. Other than Thailand, some of the best/most reasonably priced jewelry I have is from Front Street. Go on a day when cruise ships ARE NOT IN PORT. They will ply you w/ Heineken while you shop! Alcohol is very cheap, if you drink. I always bring home at least 6 bottles of Bombay Sapphire Gin. I pay $27 here, $9.99 there. Also good prices for electronics - we bought a decent Sony UW camera's down there. Boyfriend got a good price on Maui Jim sunglasses, dive watches & designer handbags.

Friars Bay one of my favorite beaches, Kali's beach bar is always a must do. Be careful - they will come around with little shot size drinks, without asking & of course you are charged $6 for each. But Kali's has great burgers & fish sandwiches & fries. The beach is a bit off the track, but worth the find. Good snorkeling.

Orient Beach is, IMO, one of the prettiest beaches in the world. Only a small part is clothing optional, but in front of that part is some really GOOD snorkelling. The small restaurants lining the beach are good, though can be pricey, open for lunch only.

My trip is typically 2 morning dives, drive to beach, lunch, sun, snorkel, back to resort, dip in pool, snack, night snorkel, drink, snack some more, fall asleep. Do it again next day.

Car rental is a must, cannot rely on transport system. Driving is on right side. Take time to drive all over the island. Do not leave anything in car. Even I feel very safe on island & I am by nature cautious. I go with a girlfriend for 1 week & we never have any problems.

Are you diving with Ocean Explorers on Kimsha Beach? If so, I can tell you they are the oldest & most reputable shop on island. Have not met the new owners, but old owner LeRoy French & his wife Dominique were incredible & I've heard nothing but great stuff about the new folk. Lee's NAUI card number is double digits. He pioneered some of the underwater camera equipment/housings used by that little French guy - Jacques Cousteau. Lee was attacked by a great white off San Fran in early 1960's, very interesting guy. And I saw my very first shark while diving w/ Lee!

It can get a little rough offshore, in Aug we jumped into 5 foot swells & current & winds & I got a bit bruised boarding. Also stepped right into a school of jelly fish & got fire coral on hands that same dive. Sites average 40 - 75 feet, typically patch coral or something sunken - tanker, bridge or sailboat. No monster reefs, no major corals or sponges, no dropping walls though if you follow Charlies Shoal out far enough toward Saba it does drop off to, I think 1,000 feet. Always plenty to see - cuda, rays, eels, fish, octopus, cuttlefish, sharks, turtles, lobsters. If you have the opportunity to dive Saba, do so. That for me rates up there w/ the legendary places like the Great Barrier, Truk, Palau... Diving there starts around 90 feet, so it is a bit more advanced. I dove w/ a 3 foot grouper who acted like a dog, following at my shoulder & knocking into me to say, hey speed it up!

Well OK, then! I do like to write.. Have a great trip, write up your impressions when you return!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me!
Joe

Nice report, I'm glad to hear that you had a good time!!

What else did you do besides diving? Which beaches did you go to (I'm guessing Orient is a given)? Did you do the obstacle course, the butterfly farm, the horseback riding, etc?

Yes, Orient (twice):D Did shopping with the wife in Phillipsburg one afternoon after diving (kind of mandatory). Hiked up to Ft. Louis a few times, spent one afternoon trying to find where to get the best Pina Colada. Ate at many of the fine restaurants in Marigot. Lots of good thin-crust pizza, tuna, shrimp and lobster toppings. Had planned to hike to Paradise Peak, but heavy rain the night before kind of changed those plans. The Friday seafood buffet at our hotel was fabulous! So I guess you could say we ate and drank our share!

Sounds like a great trip. I leave for Saba for the first time in 3 weeks. Won't come soon enough. I'll keep an eye out for the grouper.

Joe,

We dealt with very bad currents last year when we dived here. Did your dive op setup your dives as drift dives?

If not, did they anchor the boat so you could swim into the current first, then drift back to the boat?

Our op did neither and we barely made it back to the boat. 200psi.

Not good.

Thanks, Beck

There was a fair amout of current at times. We only anchored one time, the rest we were tied to a secured buoy or wreck, then started our dive into the current and pretty much drifted back.

Joe

Yello..

I am on the island RIGHT NOW... so if any one is diving let me know how it is as the Heineken regatta just finished. I am planning to dive either with Dive Safaris or Aquamania (got certified with them years ago)...

the new owners of Ocean Explorers are Lou and Jeff from Brasil, they use to be with Dive Safaris... I always dived with Dive Safaris...not bad but their site selection is kinda boring.. though I got Rescue certified with them in 2 days FAST TRACK :)

at any rate let me know how it is... for some reason I am not particularly excited of diving.. perhaps its ecause I dove here for 12 years... nothing new to see.. but to practice basically..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom