St Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainer04270

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from St. Maarten. Stayed at Divi Little Bay, which was wonderful and dove with Ocean Explorers. Lu and Jef, co-owners are terrific people. Jef is the most learned DM I've ever dove with. Tomas was passing by at quite a distance, so vis was not as good as usual. I had always heard diving in St Maarten was not good. Well, while they done have great big schools of fish, they do have the things I wants to see. We saw turtles, eagle rays, sting rays lots of spotted eels, a nurse shark, crabs, lobsters, scrawled filefish, morays and lots of wrecks. No doubt about it, we will go back and definitely dive Ocean Explorers. Note one thing...although they took our BC/tank to the boat and back, we did have to wade a bit throught the water with our fins and mask, to get on the boat. There was no dock, but that didn't bother us a bit, as they were very helpful getting us to the boat and helping us up the ladder, and again, at the end of the dive, there was always someone to help us wade from the boat to the shore. I never did think to ask if they had a dock, before Hurricane Earl made a mess of their place. I guess the wading , a bit to the boat, didn't faze me, and I'm 59 years old. They have a drying shed, so you can leave all your stuff there until the next day. They are not open Sunday, which really surprised me. However, the good WAY out weighed the tiny inconvenience of wading and not being able to dive on Sunday. These people are kind, helpful, smart, accommodating and just comfortable to be around. I give them highest marks and can't wait to go back!

I have been through Sint Maarten twice passing through to other dive destinations. I was wondering about the diving there. I love their Guavaberry Rum!

You know, I never tried the Guavaberry rum, but their Jumbie Run is great!

It has been 10 years since I dove in Sint Maarten, but I thought it was quite good when I was there. I am now in another Dutch island, Aruba. Tomas has made the diving here NOT so good presently. Going to try again tomorrow.

Note one thing...although they took our BC/tank to the boat and back, we did have to wade a bit throught the water with our fins and mask, to get on the boat. There was no dock, but that didn't bother us a bit, as they were very helpful getting us to the boat and helping us up the ladder, and again, at the end of the dive, there was always someone to help us wade from the boat to the shore. I never did think to ask if they had a dock, before Hurricane Earl made a mess of their place.

Been diving w/ OE since 2001 and there was never a dock, always wade to the boat. While I've not had the opportunity to dive with the new owners, the previous owner(s) made diving so enjoyable the little inconveniences like loading tanks and gear were non-issues.

Do miss the Gauvaberry stand and jewelry shopping in Philipsburg, afternoons at Orient and Friars ~ two of the most pristine beaches I've ever seen.

Next time you are there take a day (at least) to dive Saba.

Next time you are there take a day (at least) to dive Saba.
Tru dat! The island is gorgeous and so is the diving. Try to do the needle.

Octopus Diving out of Grand Case does a great job. They limit divers to 6 to a boat.Sally and Chris are super friendly and took great care of us.

I agree mtanne, it's worth the trip to the other side of the island. My wife drops me off and checks out the shops while I dive. No guilt diving. There were two other dive ops closer, but Stuart and Aure did a great job making sure I had a good experience.I plan on using them again in April. This guavaberry sounds pretty good, I'll have to look into that too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom