St. Maarten Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1_T_Submariner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just returned from St. Maarten. Over all I give the St. Maarten part of the trip a decent review. I would say go there once to see if it's your thing. I however probably will only go back as a stop on the way to Saba.

We checked into the Pelican Resort (a friend of mine has a time share that we exchanged for St. Maarten). Sunday we went to the Onsite dive shop and to figure out diving. Ok I guess this is my fault for not planning ahead (too many trips to Bonaire/Curacao/Roatan) anyway no room on their boats until Thursday. Since we are only staying until Friday this doesn't work. Hmmm Low season and not enough Dive capacity. Ok well Booked a trip to Saba with them and to dive with Saba Deep on Wednesday (Seperate trip report later).

They reccomended Dive Safari. So we found them and they where closed we just happened to meet the Captain of the boat in the parking lot. Arranged Diving for Monday Am and PM. Went back and did two morning dives with dive safari. Pretty good vis nice little wrecks. DM/Instructor had a course at the same time. The captain guided us. Friendly crew dove air supply/computers.

We arranged for Diving on Tuesday. Showed up and took our gear to the boat then when I took bags back to the Car. There were quite a few divers on the boat so I waited on the Pier when I got on the boat I found the DM setting our gear up :no::no:
The DM didn't ask if we wanted assistance etc...Filled my BC up until the relief lifted Ugghh :shocked2::shocked2: I told her to let me do it. She said it was Proceedure. I said it's my gear so then she starts messing with my second stages uggh again.

We go to the Dive site no problems on the first dive other than the explanations of how this is a guided dive etc... Nice dive. Second dive they say max depth 60 ft ok cool they are going to penetrate a wreck I said no thanks we will be outside. They said 30 min max bottom time. More on my rant later.

Here are some pics.

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

All in all it was a good trip. I need to be trained on Guided dives and Full service DM's setting up gear etc...

Nice pics of the Southern Stingray.

Loved Saba when I was there. Was Mike your DM?

Enjoyed the photos. I've not dove St. Maarten; visited it via cruise ship once. The view of the island & surrounding ocean was the most gorgeous I've seen yet; Barbados was a close second, but for sheer gloriously blue waters around a Caribbean island, it was the one to beat. One of those things I came home & tried to relate to people, but didn't figure they'd understand without seeing it or something very similar in person.

Richard.

Loved Saba when I was there. Was Mike your DM?

Yes our DM was Mike. Interesting/entertaining Guy!

I take it we are talking about Big Mike @ Saba Deep? (He may be the ONLY Mike there as I think Little Mike retired...)

Surprised they didn't recommend Ocean Explorers as you could just about swim your gear from Pelican docks over to their shop...

Dove in St. Maarten for the first time this year.
The diving was much better than I was lead to believe it would be.

You never know till you go!

I had also read some less than great dive reports about St Maarten.I'm curious about the on-site operator at Pelican.I believe their name is Dive Adventures.You can't beat the convience,it's about a 5 min walk to the boat.Their boat looked alittle 'crowded' when I saw them coming back in.I counted 20 on board.Is that standard?I went with Octopus last trip and couldn't have been happier with the service.And it was a six-pac.The down side is it's located on the other side of the island which requires a car rental and turns a 2-tank dive into an all day affair.
This was my first visit and we plan on returning every April.I need to learn the differences in French/Dutch side diving.
To Jersey: I saw Ocean Explorers down the beach but don't know anything about them.Can you give me any first hand info on them?

I take it we are talking about Big Mike @ Saba Deep? (He may be the ONLY Mike there as I think Little Mike retired...)

Yes, Big Mike.

I went with Octopus last trip and couldn't have been happier with the service.And it was a six-pac.The down side is it's located on the other side of the island which requires a car rental and turns a 2-tank dive into an all day affair.

+1 for Octopus, we had a very good experience with them. As to the location, dive with them in the morning, hit the Lolo for lunch, then head across the French side to Baiae Orientale...a perfect day.

Yes our DM was Mike. Interesting/entertaining Guy!

He gave by far longest and most sarcastic dive briefing I have ever had! And he was great to watch in the water.

dengle - not sure if 20 on boat is 'standard' (do they have a boat large enough for that many??) as when I've been there ~ usually September ~ we never had more then 4 divers + 2 crew. Many days it was my buddy and myself + 2 crew. I've had no problems with them, other then a bad weight belt buckle. My ex-husband had an experience where the DM got them lost on a night dive ~ obviously not that lost cause they made it back. Yes, dive with Ocean Explorers almost every trip. Almost, if not the oldest operating shop on island. The original owner was somewhat of an icon. Sold it a few years back, and new owners seem to have kept the same high standards. Smaller op, 6 pack on open boat, more for 'divers' then the 'cruise ship' crowd.

Wrybosome - being a philly guy, you know sarcasm :wink:

Oh yeah - watching him in the water is like watching a fish! Does he still wave to the little creatures and fish?

Back
Top Bottom