St. Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
jomcclain

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at a visit to St. Lucia. I'm looking for any and all constructive recommendations for surface interval time, getting around the island, airbnb's, food, all the above.
Thank you in advance.

Some options were discussed in the recent thread St. Lucia Dive Shops.

IIRC, you can shore dive at Anse Chastanet but it had to be guided when I read of it way back when.

There are 3 Sandals resorts in St. Lucia; they include scuba diving as a covered activity, but in the past when I've seen Sandal's diving mentioned on ScubaBoard at some point, it was a bit short (45 minutes, maybe?). When I've priced Sandals in the past, the total cost was too much (plus I don't drink alcohol, and that's factored into all-inclusive pricing).

The thread St. Lucia - tell me your thoughts might be helpful.

From 2 cruise ship stops (2 dives on 1, a rainforest hike on the other), I recall it as a lushly vegetated island, beautiful for a rainforest hike, but wear footwear with good soles that one have you slipping and falling or turning an ankle.

Richard.

We stopped in St. Lucia on a cruise years before we were certified, so I can't speak to diving. I will say that my son and I had fun mountain biking with Bike St. Lucia and we all enjoyed snorkeling at Anse Chastanet (water was very clear and a good bit to see as I recall).

i was only there once about 10 years ago. we stayed in marigot bay during slow season. it was very quiet around there. we had a room on the hill over looking the bay and the sunsets. was an amazing location if you just wanted to chill. didn't even have a phone or a tv. but there was really nothing to do there, and the small so called beach (even though it looked decent in photos) was a waste of time.
we dived with dive fair helen. things may have changed, but back then they served a fantastic home cooked lunch each day on board. the ride down the coast to dive near the pitons was nothing short of spectacular.
diving was soso. but any diving is good diving right?
we got groceries by taking a small boat into castries i believe.
our plan had been to stay in that bay for a week and then a second week right near the pitons. it didn't work out that way and we spent two weeks in the bay. although it was very quiet and relaxing, i would not do that again.

I'd echo what drrich2 says, and look for options OTHER than Sandals. St. Lucia is one of those increasingly rare Caribbean islands where it's NOT dominated by the big its-all-the-same-everywhere brand names. You've got all sorts of very cool boutique choices like Ladera, Body Holiday, Hotel Chocolat, Jade Mountain, etc. (although those particular ones admittedly are pretty pricey).

For the rest of your question (the non-scuba stuff), you might find this article I wrote for my travel site helpful. It's got charts for typical airfare costs, temps, precip, and lots on what to see and do above the water. There's a little info there on diving, but honestly that part is thin compared to what you'll find elsewhere...the article is not really scuba-focused.

Looking at a visit to St. Lucia. I'm looking for any and all constructive recommendations for surface interval time, getting around the island, airbnb's, food, all the above.
Thank you in advance.
Stayed at St. James Club Morgan Bay in ‘18. Prediving days. Really nice. Good food. Snorkeling, waterskiing, kayaks and hobicats included in all inclusive. Don’t think they had a dive shop though, but one of the best resorts I stayed at at that time. Took a snorkeling and day trip to Soufriere through Joy’s Excursions. Joy and his crew were great, but don’t know if he does scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom