St Lucia - Sandals Grande

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So It looks like we're doing a week at the Grande. Joining a couple of other couples, starting to "celebrate" 50th B-days, mine's sit a bit away. Anyway, who's been, what should we try to hit, what to avoid? AOW, photography, love small stuff, could spend the whole drive looking at 20 sq ft, but there are always others on the dive with me....

gonna be there mid September, 2 other couples, never dove with any of them, so the conservative resort plan does not bug me till we get to know each other's levels.

So, give me your thoughts

thanks!

Scott

Our experience a few years ago at the Sandals La Toc was that we went to the port in Castries and the people from the Grande came down and we used the same boats. Best diving is on south side around the Pitons. Had plenty of small stuff (fry) for pictures but the drift dives I couldn't really linger too much as the group hs to stay together. The wrecks would be good for pics.

A different trip to St. Lucia in mid August had hot temps and humidity topside and the shallow depths had water temps in the high 80's F (like 89F). Should be cooler deeper but the boat rides might be warm in mid September.

I have a few St. Lucia pics in my SB Gallery but found less to shoot compared to other places. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks ColoDale! some nice shots. high 80s will thrill the wife, deff don't need my dry suit scott

We stayed at the Halcyon 2 or 3 years back and had to bus to Castries as Colodale mentioned. However we visited the Grand and they had their own dive boats at that time. I would expect long boat rides as most of the dive sites are on the south west corner of the island. I would guess 18-20 miles south of the Grand by boat. There may be sites further north but we didn't go there.

The Lesleen M wreck was my favorite dive of the week followed by Anse Cochon reef and Superman's flight. There wasn't a lot of big stuff. And there can be currents. One small wall dive reminded me of Cozumel (current wise). Water temps in August were mid 80s and vis was 50-70 ft. but it was kinda rainy when we were there.

We did the volcano tour. If you've been to Yellowstone, skip it. Did a day trip to Soufriere and some botanical gardens. That was fun. There are some zip-line tours that some other folks did that they enjoyed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom