St. Lucia - Diving on the southeast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtownsend2000

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

My wife and I are off to St. Lucia in three weeks time. We are staying on the southeast part of the island (Coconut Bay Resort) next to Vieux Fort.

I know that most of the diving is on the central eastern side of the islands, near Castries? and the Pitons. But I just wanted to know if anyone had and experience diving near to the Vieux Fort area?

Cheers,

Darren

Castries is on the western (lea) side of the island. The eastern shore is windward and conditions can be trickier. Never dove on that side, but there is definitely diving near Pitons and south of Marigot. IIRC Vieux Fort has a western exposure as well, so there is likely diving north and west of there. Maybe you've just got the island flipped in your mind, but I think you're going to be closer to diving than you suspect.

He's not got it flipped. Coconuts is near to the international airport and great for kite surfing, was fun to watch as we waited for the hours to count down until we had to drive back to the airport. However it's far away from the main tourist spots near Castries. 2.5hrs in fact on non-business days with no ships in port (in Castries). Are there dive outfits down there? I too thought most were on the north west. Island sure is pretty, just a shame it takes forever to get around in it.

The best diving is certainly off the southwest area of the island, near the Pitons. There isn't any good diving off Castries, and it's marginal north of there towards Pidgeon Point. I don't know anything about the diving off the south or east, but I would assume the east coast would be challenging given that it's the windward side of the island. It does look like there's a point that sticks out of the southern end of the island, so you might find there's some decent, protected diving around the western edge of that point.

James

Thanks for the tips everyone. Looks like we might be in for some long car journeys.

Back
Top Bottom