St. Lawrence Seaway - Sept 1-3 and 8-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pickens_46929

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
St. Lawrence Seaway Trip

I'm arranging 2 separate live aboard trips on the St. Lawrence Seaway late this summer. Arrange to get yourself to Clayton, NY and get on board the Merry Ann the night before we go out diving. Then dive, dive, dive! Oh and eat and sleep. Lots of neat wrecks to see and most within the skillset of this group.

This is fresh water diving in 68 F water, so the usual gear works just fine. (A dive computer is recommended due to the number of dives we're doing -- rentals are available if arrangements made in advance) But it's a lot of diving, so it's important to keep warm as we found out last year. Both in the water and out of the water.

A 5mm full wetsuit is the minimum recommendation. Even with a 5mm full wetsuit, you should plan on using gloves and a hood for most of your dives as well. Yes, you could do it in a 3mm and you might be warm enough for a couple dives during the day but over the period of 3 days, you'll progressively get colder and colder and not really enjoy the dives so much.

We also found we were on the chilly side once we got out of the water as well. Air temps during this time of year are in the upper 60's (F). Since this is a live aboard we have some protection from the wind. But as usual, peeling out of your gear and getting dried off will be key. Sweats and a nice long sleeve t-shirt or pullover will help during surface intervals. Wind breakers are nice too.

*One* of our group last year dove dry. This year, a couple of us that dove wet last year are probably going to dive dry I expect -- I know I am.

All divers must bring their C-Card(s) and log book. See NOTES section for more info.

DATES and COSTS

The trip is offered 2 weekends back-to-back. The first over Labor Day weekend, September 1-3 and the next weekend, September 8-10. Each trip is limited to 8 divers.

With an estimated 12 dives total over 3 days... it works out to be roughly $30 per dive. More dives might be possible depending upon the actual dive profiles and other factors such as weather, etc.

The live aboard is strictly BYOB (bring your own booze). Only rule is you're done diving for the day when you take your first alcoholic drink. If you drink, please make sure you stay properly hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Dehydration is a known issue with divers.

Sept 1-3, 2006

Arrive Thursday evening, August 31st, departing Monday morning September 4th. We'll have 3 days of diving Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Cost will be $360 and includes food, lodging and air fills. Crew tips are not included. Nitrox is available for an extra fee. You'll need to bring your own gear and tanks (or make arrangements to rent tanks) plus make arrangements to get to Clayton, NY.

UPDATE: We have the ability to get a 2nd boat. I've locked it in until mid-May just in case. It also has the capacity of 8 but I need to finalize the pricing on it. Since the first boat isn't full just yet, I'm not worried.

Divers:
1) Dave Pickens (ZD)
2) Dan Jordan (DB)
3) Kent Price (DB)
4) Dave Weiting (DB)
5) Randy956 (ZD)
6) Dave Dewhirst (CIA) *N
7) Dave Carter (CIA) *N
8)

2nd boat...
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)

Sept 8-10, 2006

Arrive late Thursday evening, Sept 7, departing late afternoon on Sunday Sept 10th. We'll have 2 and 1/2 days of diving, Friday and Saturday all day and most of the day on Sunday. Cost is $300 and includes food, lodging and air fills. Crew tips are not included. Nitrox is available for an extra fee. You'll need to bring your own gear and tanks (or make arrangements to rent tanks) plus make arrangements to get to Clayton, NY.

UPDATE: This is looking to be a more technical dive trip with fewer, deeper dives. I've gotten an inquiry from one of the local dive club members. So tentatively that's what we'll try to do with this weekend. Expect 2 to 3 deco or rebreather dives per day in the 150'+ depth range.

Will investigate offering a trimix class and/or intro to rebreather class this weekend and post the price here.

Divers:
1) Dave Pickens (ZD)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

TANK RENTALS

Aluminum 80's are available for $5 per day. Steel tanks (LP 85, LP 95, HP 120) are available for $15 per day. Doubles are available for $30 per day. Deco bottles (AL40) are available for $15 per day. Quantities for all tanks are limited -- divers must supply own regulators and be appropriated trained for usage (eg. doubles and deco bottles).

DEPOSITS and PAYMENTS

$100 per diver non-refundable deposit is due to hold your spot. This is first-come first-reserved availability.

An additional payment of $100 (refundable) by 6/1/06 will be required to maintain your spot on the trip. The final amount will be due 8/1/06 unless arrangements have been made.

MORE INFO IN ST. LAWRENCE SEAWAY DIVING

SAMPLE ITINERARY

Thursday

6pm Arrive Clayton, NY
Dinner onboard the Merry Ann​

Friday

7am Wake up and breakfast
Food is "home cooking", so eggs, bacon, omlets,
etc. for breakfast can be expected.​
8am First dive of the day (we can actually dive earlier if we want)
Can dive before breakfast if we want. First dive of the day
would typically be deep, moving shallower as the day
progresses.​
9am Snack and surface interval
Minimum of 1 hour but most likely longer, depends upon
the profiles we're diving.​
10am 2nd dive of the day (maybe on same wreck if it's big - eg. Keystorm)
There are a lot of larger wrecks out there. Keystorm is 380 ft.
in length, so it's a good wreck to simply park and get 2 dives on.​
11am Lunch and surface interval (also move the boat)
Burgers, hotdogs, sandwiches can be expected at lunch.
Boat has a grill on it.​
1pm
3rd dive of the day (yet another wreck)​
2pm
Snack and surface interval​
3pm
4th dive of the day (yet another wreck or wall)​
4pm
Dinner and surface interval​
Home style cooking incl. spagetti, steak one night maybe.
Your welcome to have a beer (or whatever) but you need to
bring your own. Plus once you drink, the day's diving is done.​
7pm
Dusk or twilight dive (shallow wreck)​

Saturday
See Friday's schedule.​

Sunday
See Friday's schedule.​

Monday (over Labor Day Weekend only)

Captain has said we can stay on board overnight
and depart Monday morning.​

7am
Load up and Depart Clayton​

NOTES

Since we'll be crossing the border, a VALID Passport is recommended, but an ORIGINAL birth certificate, accompanied with a VALID photo ID (drivers license) will also be accepted for all U.S. Citizens. Non-U.S. Citizens may also require a VISA. Information on obtaining a passport can be found at http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html.

*N denotes nitrox
*A denotes requires tank rental aluminum 80
*S8,9,12 denotes requires tank rental steele LP85, LP95 or HP120
(DB) denotes dive buddy
(ZD) denotes Zendiving person
(SB) denotes Scubaboard person
(DS) denotes DecoStop person
(SQ) denotes ScubaQuest dive club person
(CIA) denotes Central Indiana Aquatic dive club person

First boat is now full...

2nd boat is the same price -- $360 for the 3 days of diving.

6 spots remaining as of Mother's Day... 5/14/06...

Not getting enough to fill the 2nd boat on Sept 1-3, so I'm going to confirm the 1st boat FULL and let the 2nd boat go to another group if I don't get more people.

Last chance for signing up is Sunday June 4th.

Dave

Ok... let the 2nd boat go on Labor Day.

I've opened up 2 spots on the first boat since will hold up to 10.

Concentrating on filling that 2nd weekend up too.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom