St. Lawrence River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To go back to the Norwegian question: I would fly into Montreal!! The region is only about 1.5-2 hours drive away. I did my AOW in Montreal and we did one day on the river wrecks (America and Key Storm... if memory serves me right). I was very fresh to diving at the time and the wrecks were great, no problems. Warm water in the summer and great viz. Although I have heard something about the water temp being so high because of something to do with nuclear plants.... hmmmm....

Happy diving.

This sounds like a nice trip. Just spent some time at "this" booth at Beneath the Sea this past weekend. Any good sites for general info on scuba in this area? How about easy shore diving in this area? Would it really be possible to do lots of moderate to easy shore dives here over a long weekend? I'm not much on DEEP wrecks and love shore diving. What's the deal with the "scuba park" mentioned in tis area? Thanks!

It's pretty good current, but I don't think it's any worse than Cozumel. It's also steady, so it's not like something unexpected will suddenly grab you.

Try it, you'll like it!

Terry

darylm74:
How bad is the current there. I noticed that they said swift current. I've never gone diving in strong current and wondering if a trip like this would be a bit much to just jump into.

The river is right on the border between the US and Canada. There are wrecks on both sides.

You would need to check with customs about foreign citizens, but it's usually not a problem crossing the border. It just gets busy on weekends and 8 - 10 am and 4 - 6 pm.

Syracuse is a small college town (Syracuse University) surrounded by suburbs. It's not New York City (NYC is about a 5 hour drive). Just to give you an idea, downtown only has 3 buildings that are over 20 stories tall. It does, however have a number of really interesting bars and restaurants (The Dinosaur Barbecue for smoked chicken, ribs, beer, etc.), a couple of really nice Sushi places (Ichiban's and Kyoko's), and an authentic Irish pub (Coleman's).

There's an excellent SCUBA shop in Syacuse (http://www.nationalaquatic.com) that can rent you pretty much anything you need.

The airport is quite a bit north of Syracuse right on Route 81, which heads north into Canada, about an hour away. Car rental is about $20 US/Day, and gas is currently about $2.25/US Gallon.

I can't tell you much about the Canadian airports, but the Syracuse Airport generally has very short lines, and is usually pretty quiet, which makes it nice to travel to/from.

If you decide to come, let us know!

Terry

KOMPRESSOR:
Any Int. airports on the Canadian side? I suppose it would be easier with one less border crossing for a foreign citizen. Besides, I wouldn't mind NOT having to drive through ANY part of New York...

Will it be more expensive to rent a truck or car in Canada than at JFK ?

Info greatly appreciated!

scubadobadoo:
This sounds like a nice trip. Just spent some time at "this" booth at Beneath the Sea this past weekend. Any good sites for general info on scuba in this area? How about easy shore diving in this area? Would it really be possible to do lots of moderate to easy shore dives here over a long weekend? I'm not much on DEEP wrecks and love shore diving. What's the deal with the "scuba park" mentioned in tis area? Thanks!

Yes there are plenty of shore diving opportunities in the St. Lawrence. Here is a link that will help give you more information on some of the shore diving sites. I have never been to this dive shop so I am not promoting it. Maybe others that are more familiar with this shop can speak for it. The information on the website is helpful and if you ever call the shop they are more than friendly enough to help with any questions regarding these sites. Have fun!

http://www.northerntechdiver.com/

Thanks Bison. Looks awesome. Just the type of shore diving my wife and I like. Shallow and good viz at the same time in the NE! Who woulda thunk! We have family up that way so will be going up this summer some time. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom