St. Lawrence River temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't want to spam this very useful thread but around what time of the year do the conditions get warm enough to dive Wetsuit (7mm+7mm shorty, 14mm total) ? I've been craving for a dive since I got back from my first experience in Roatan in Feburary and can't wait to go back to it.

Don't want to spam this very useful thread but around what time of the year do the conditions get warm enough to dive Wetsuit (7mm+7mm shorty, 14mm total) ? I've been craving for a dive since I got back from my first experience in Roatan in Feburary and can't wait to go back to it.

Honestly, that would do except for fingers and toes (can be mitigated with good mits & socks).....but mostly you get hurt on the surface intervals (can't be mitigated)...... The worst part is being cold and wet on the surface, so it is more about the air temps... YMMV.

196972_520542731311454_1212577486_n.jpgyes.......it's all about the AIR temp!!!lol

Honestly, that would do except for fingers and toes (can be mitigated with good mits & socks).....but mostly you get hurt on the surface intervals (can't be mitigated)...... The worst part is being cold and wet on the surface, so it is more about the air temps... YMMV.

hmm got decent booties with socks and mits but yeah I guess the air would be a bit on the cold end.

So, basically saying no diving for me until... end of May ? My bathtub is way too small to accommodate until then, I will have to figure something out hehe.

Drysuit or wetsuit, take some warm dry clothes to change into and you can do it. Wetsuit is a little more challenging, but if you take some warm water in a cooler or jug for after the dive it helps. Dump it in the wetsuit for a quick warm up after diving and when you are ready, strip off the wetsuit and dry off quickly, get into warm dry clothes, go have an ice cold beer and call it a day. A group of us do this every New Years Eve in A-Bay. We do however don't waste time stopping for a beer. We stop for at least two!!:D

The river is warming "nicely". Saturday in A-bay we had 36-38*F during our drift. I would imagine it to be a bit warmer at Cornwall. Maybe even 40*F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom