St. John's or Turks & Caicos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amm91

Reaction score
I just got some unexpected time off for a quick dive trip to the Caribbean this weekend (approx July 21-27). Research into last minute airfares leads to 2 choices: Turks & Caicos (I have already been there twice but love it), and St. John's (never been). I have to decide quickly. Any suggestions? Thanks, Anne

Having been to both I would say that USVI diving is average for the Caribbean while TCI can be well above average to excellent.

St J is an undeveloped island with about 90% being a "national forest" or something like that. You can rent a car and drive easily around the whole place. Not difficult to find beaches totally deserted......handy if youre going with your sig other. Not a lot of night life and only a 45 min ferry ride from St Thomas.

Its not bad to try new places. Agree on the comment though that the diving is only average. The STAV is a wreck dive heavily pushed but Ive done so much off coast NC wreck diving I didnt find the STAV all that a big whoop. I thought the PAMIR was a much more fun dive and it is in shallow waters so you have lots of bottom time.

Do a report no matter which you try pls.
rich

I've been to Provo and St. John once each. Since you've already been to T&C twice, I would recommend you try St. John.

As for the underwater delights, Provo was better. (But I HATED the long boat rides.) St. John was plenty good, though. Not deep, but good reefs and plenty of sea life.

As for topside, St. John is far and away the place to be. It's a beautiful island. Small with some nice secluded beaches. Some nice hikes if you like that. The tiny town of Cruz Bay has some really good food and bars. Walk around with a drink in your hand just like Las Vegas. General prices on St. John aren't exactly cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than T&C. There are only 2 resort-type places on the island, The Westin and Caneel Bay. I stayed at the Westin and really liked it. Beautiful. The beach, however, is mearly adequate in that it is manmade. Caneel Bay has several great beaches, but the accomodations didn't interest me. There are some small hotels without a beach plus rental houses, etc. but I don't know much about them. The Westin (and I believe Caneel Bay) has their own ferry service to St. Thomas which is very convenient. I came down with a cold during our trip and that put an end to scuba. So we took a day sail/snorkle trip to Jost van Dyke BVI. That was super fun. Some of the best snorkling my wife and I have experienced (I belive the snokle site was actually in the USVI). Then a sail to Foxy's in JVD for lunch. Then several hours at a very beautiful beach on JVD. Nice day even though I was quite ill from my cold.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Back
Top Bottom