St. Croix - Tickets booked, now who, what, where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the best search is "advanced search" st croix dive site on the following domain: scubaboard.com. and you get 228 results with this as the first page:

Quick St. Croix Trip Report | ScubaBoard
www.scubaboard.com › ... › Lesser Antilles
Traduire cette page
2 févr. 2014 - 10 messages - ‎5 auteurs
This boat dives the shipwrecks and reefs along the west shore of St. Croix. All of the dive sites are 15 minutes or less from the cruise ship pier ...
Diver dies in St. Croix today... | ScubaBoard
www.scubaboard.com › ... › Accidents and Incidents
Traduire cette page
16 juil. 2011 - 4 messages - ‎4 auteurs
Just heard from a friend (on island nurse) that a diver in St. Croix ... it happened at what I consider the most advanced site in St. Croix, Vertigo.
Overall impressions from first visit to St. Croix | ScubaBoard
Traduire cette page
15 févr. 2016 - Since I do not see many posts about diving in St. Croix, I thought I ... at the dive shop was generous in offering information on the dive sites.
shore diving st. croix | ScubaBoard
Traduire cette page
14 juin 2004 - 8 messages - ‎5 auteurs
Ok- I am looking at a possible quickie trip to St. Croix. ... know of the Waves hotel/resort? says they have shore diving right there- is it OK?
st croix vs st thomas | ScubaBoard
Traduire cette page
19 mars 2010 - 10 messages - ‎7 auteurs
The Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort offers an all inclusive plan and you can dive with Red Hook Dive Center. St. Thomas Scuba Diving - Red ...
St. Croix Treasures? | ScubaBoard
www.scubaboard.com › ... › Underwater Treasures
Traduire cette page
7 déc. 2005 - 10 messages - ‎6 auteurs
Has anyone found anything ancient in St. Croix, USVI? ... I remember hearing about a pier that was a good dive site in the V.I. I'm going to be ...
St. Croix Trip | ScubaBoard
Traduire cette page
23 oct. 2012 - No babysitter required. There are several great ops to dive with. I recommend S.C.U.B.A. St Croix Scuba Diving, SCUBA Dive Shop - St Croix ...
Top Shore Diving Destinations in the Caribbean | ScubaBoard
www.scubaboard.com › ... › Greater Caribbean and Bermuda
Traduire cette page
17 août 2010 - 7 messages - ‎6 auteurs
Preferred the sites north of Seven Mile Beach vs. ones in/near ... St. Croix is on my list. ... I do think Bonaire is #1 for accessibility to dive sites.
Which has better diving St. Thomas or St. Croix? | ScubaBoard
Traduire cette page
I have the option to dive on either St. Thomas or St. Croix so I would like to know which ... Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community.
Best boat and shore diving locations | ScubaBoard
www.scubaboard.com › ... › Greater Caribbean and Bermuda
Traduire cette page
14 févr. 2016 - 10 messages - ‎6 auteurs
From what I'm told Curacao has some boat sites that are more 'special. ... A thread discussing St. Croix as a dive destination. Richard. drrich2 .

I'm headed back in March as well. Our last visit was about 3 or 4 years ago. We did our boat diving with St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures (SCUBA). We also teamed with N2theBlue for a guided night pier dive. We did self-guided pier dives the next day by renting tanks and weights from N2theBlue. We will probably do the same in a few months. If you do nothing else, do the pier.

Shore diving is very limited in St Croix. We did a shore dive at Cane Bay, but the swim out was very long so we didn't do that a second time. The exception is the pier and, as others have said, an absolute must. If you want to shore dive, stick to the pier, you won't be disappointed. There's a beach just north of the pier, but I can't vouch for its quality as we stayed in the Cane Bay area.

If you want to do the wall as a shore dive, go to Davis Bay, where Carambola Resort is located. Shorter swim out and some good spur-and-groove formations before you reach the wall. Sweet Bottom Dive Center is the shop on site and they make the diving as easy as possible.

Hi:

I got to do 2 dives on a cruise ship stop once, but I'd like to go back and 'do it for real,' so I've been researching St. Croix and e-mailing back and forth with some op.s. I've compiled a rough draft of my acquired info., and while it's not in a state ready for posting publicly, if you shoot me a PM with your e-mail address I'd be happy to send you a copy of the current draft.

Richard.

Greetings Richard and Happy New Years! Feel free to shoot me a copy and I'll help in every way I can.

2016 was busy for N2theBlue! GoogleMaps gave us the StreetView and Trekker camera for 360' virtual drives and hikes. We are the first to have the camera (outside of Google employees or a Government). Also, St. Croix was the 1st island in the Caribbean to be on the Google StreetView maps! We sent them several dozen terabytes of data. As of January 2016, only 1 of 28 solid-state-drives has been integrated into the map. (Just grab the little orange guy in the bottom right corner of the GoogleMap and drag it onto the island.) You can read up on it here:

Cheers!

Feel free to call the dive shop and ask about different locations. There are differences in personal preference and location. Here's a general guide:

Driving: (USA vehicles (steering column on the left), but we also drive on the left side of the road since we used to be a Danish colony.)
  • St. Croix diving is a 30 minute triangle with a fourth 30min drive further east. /\
  • Frederiksted to Christiansted is 30 minutes.
  • North Shore (Salt River/Wall) is 30 min from both towns
  • Easternmost point is a further 30 min branch from Christiansted.
  • There is no diving in the east or the south.

Hotel Considerations: (Use TripAdvisor to get your full listing.)
St. Croix is a step-back in time to B&B, smaller hotels, and a more European/Danish lifestyle. The entire US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix) hasn't had a new hotel built since 1980s. There are only ~585 official hotel rooms on St. Croix (3 resorts & many 8-20 room hotels) with lots more from private condo rentals, VRBO, AirBNB, B&B, etc. This is a garden island without a jewelry district and with 20-45 cruise ship visits per year (3-8 per month in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr and 0-2 ships per month the rest of the year). There are no Ritz, Sandals, Hard Rock, Hilton, etc. Enjoy the Escape!
  • Price
  • Personal travel style (beaches, view, dining, distance to dive shop, etc.)
Frederiksted (close to N2theBlue):
  • Cottages by the Sea (on the beach, very diver friendly)
  • SandCastles
  • Pink Condos
  • The Fred (opening 2017)
  • Inn on Strand
  • Mill Point
  • various B&B
  • various AirBNB, VRBO
Major hotels/resorts:
  • Divi (far east, 30-60 min from dive shops)
  • Buccaneer (5 min east of Christiansted)
  • Carambola (isolated NW corner) with a curvy 30 min drive home after dinner/cocktails

Feel free to call the dive shop and ask about different locations.

Cheers!

I got some more info. regarding N2theBlue today. Turns out they have 3 boats, not 2; one typically serves the Wall/Salt-River/North-Shore while the other two stay in the calm west waters. I'm told each is limited to 6 divers (noteworthy because often on ScubaBoard people advocate for '6-pack' boats rather than large load boats), but they can get boats together to serve larger groups. They do the valet diving (they'll set up your gear if you wish & rinse & dry it).

Richard.

Last year I inquired with @N2theBlue StCroix STX about whether or not the offered larger tanks (larger the 80's)... by any chance have you expanded you fleet of tanks to include 100's (or better yet some larger steel tanks)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom