St. Croix: Rent a car or do transfers & taxis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulatrix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to be diving in St. Croix later this summer, based in Frederickstad. Travel agent recommended renting a car over doing transfers. Those of you who are familiar with the island: what's your take? What's the parking situation like? What should we be aware of? Thanks in advance for your insights@

Transfers to and from where? I think your agent is right, that you'll end up wanting a car. It's a fairly large island, topographically different and with different things to explore. Here's a link to my old trip report -
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

There are some other, more recent ones. Granted, we rented a car so I don't know what taxi rates are there. Fredericksted is rather quaint and 'sleepy' looking; somehow I doubt parking is going to be a problem.

Get a car too much to see all over the island. Traffic is not an issue., Read drrich2 s trip report. He is very detailed and is a great source of info

Thanks to you both. Transfers I believe would be from the airport to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the dive shop and back. We did opt for the car, but we've been having some minor qualms about driving on the left side of the road and just wondering if it would be less of a hassle to let someone else drive us. You have allayed these minor anxieties, so thanks again!

I think you'll be fine with it. Yes, driving on the left is a little odd, but we didn't find St. Croix traffic intense/congested, so I think you'll adjust fine.

but we've been having some minor qualms about driving on the left side of the road...

Greetings from St. Croix Regulatrix,

Our vehicles are all left-hand drive, just like on the mainland. You don't have to worry about turning on the windshield wipers instead of your turn signal, lol. Just remember to keep your left shoulder to the (roads) shoulder. The left-hand drive also helps, since you sitting on the left, you can see how much room you have and stay close to the left-hand shoulder and away from oncoming traffic.

Except for lunch hour and quitting time our roads are pretty uncongested. Unless there is a repair going on. Because of our legendary potholes, most people go pretty slow dodging them, lol. You'll be fine, just stop a moment and think before you pull out of parking lots/spaces.

Depending on where you are staying and where the shop is located you may not even need a car to get to the shop. But you'll definitely want a car to get around to see the island. Make sure you make it over the Christiansted to look around and enjoy some great restaurants. Google maps work here (for the most part) so plug stuff in to get directions. If you have any questions PM me, happy to send you my list of things to do, radio stations, local lingo...etc that we give our clients oh, and some coupons for local restaurants and shops.

Enjoy your trip and the diving.

Transfers to and from where? I think your agent is right, that you'll end up wanting a car. It's a fairly large island, topographically different and with different things to explore. Here's a link to my old trip report -
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

There are some other, more recent ones. Granted, we rented a car so I don't know what taxi rates are there. Fredericksted is rather quaint and 'sleepy' looking; somehow I doubt parking is going to be a problem.
Judi of Croix is a great car rental company not one of the big guys.
Talk to Millie or Brian the owners and they will treat you right.

I would also recommend Centerline, they have a window at the airport. We rented from them on a few visits before we moved here and ended up renting from them the month while we waited for truck to be shipped in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom