st croix or cayman brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In St croix now as most have said the pier is a don't miss. Turtles all over the place. Just this afternoon we found 2 seahorses, 3 octopus,1 frogfish ,2 eagle rays and 1 small southern ray. Just go slow. The wind had made diving the North shore interesting but we have shore dove Cane Bay, Pavillions, Davis Bay and Northstar in the last 2 weeks. I think the reefs are not bad ,very comparable to Grand Caymen less the swim throughs. All the northern dives have been very Sharky. Best info on St Croix diving is on You Tube Tritons Realm. Jeff has great videos and tips on STX

I also did a week on the Juliet docked at the Pier in St. Croix. It was over Christmas / New Years and the infamous Christmas Winds were blowing, so we dove sites fairly close to the home base at the pier. This is in 2016. I really enjoyed Pier (which is fantastic, day and night), but other sites were decent. I liked the place they dumped the pilings from the old pier or cruise ship dock - I think it was called "Armageddon". Sort of "wreck-like" with lots of fish and the beginnings of soft corals.

I also did a week on the Juliet docked at the Pier in St. Croix. It was over Christmas / New Years and the infamous Christmas Winds were blowing, so we dove sites fairly close to the home base at the pier. This is in 2016. I really enjoyed Pier (which is fantastic, day and night), but other sites were decent. I liked the place they dumped the pilings from the old pier or cruise ship dock - I think it was called "Armageddon". Sort of "wreck-like" with lots of fish and the beginnings of soft corals.
You probably saw me swim by for a night dive on a Wednesday or Friday evening.

please compare the diving of st croix and Cayman brac. I am looking at both,
i have been to brac but not st croix. from what i see the wall is close to shore on both islands.
how is the fish life , coral , vis?
thanks for any feed back.
don't waste your time on Croix. The Brac is far better and safer, St Croix, is dangerous super high crime rate. and the diving is Sh#%

please compare the diving of st croix and Cayman brac. I am looking at both,
i have been to brac but not st croix. from what i see the wall is close to shore on both islands.
how is the fish life , coral , vis?
thanks for any feed back.
Brac, for sure

As I mentioned earlier the Pier never disappoints especially at night. You need to get 7 or 8 columns out before the real action starts and the Dolphins are always good. Boat dives on the west are a mixed bag to me. We love Armaggedon and Butler Bay wrecks but everything south of the pier is ok but not great. We shore dive the north. Northstar, Cane Bay, and Davis Bay are excellant dives. Nice coral,topography and sharky.

don't waste your time on Croix. The Brac is far better and safer, St Croix, is dangerous super high crime rate. and the diving is Sh#%
Even though I wouldn't consider St. Croix my favorite, it seems a bit much to say the diving is Sh#%. By what standard? Just compared to Cayman Brac? I've never been to Cayman Brac, but I will say that St. Croix has better diving than a number of places that I've been. Perhaps it depends on what specifically a person is looking for.

To me, on diving only: I'd say St. Croix has better diving than Pensacola, Panama City Beach, and Myrtle Beach (and quarry dives). I'd say it was somewhat on par with Curacao and the Exumas (Bahamas). I'd take Cozumel, Jupiter, FL or Riviera Beach, FL over St. Croix. That's my opinion, based on my preferences for reefs over wrecks, good viz & blue water, a good variety of critters to see (yet I'm not especially fascinated with sharks), and I don't mind drift diving. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom