st croix or cayman brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why twilight vs night?

My dive buddy and his daughter did the twinight dive while I stayed with my wife waiting for the guided night dive. They RAVED about it! They were so excited about the night dive. We went on the night dive (while my wife spent time in a dive bar - more explanation on request). It was the worst night dive I have ever been on. The DM went at a snail's pace. He did find a really cool crab I have never seen before, but that was about it. No octopus, no eels, maybe one lobster, no crabs. A whole lot of construction rubble, and not much else. My buddy and his daughter saw all the things I missed. I don't know where they went, but they weren't near us.

My dive buddy and his daughter did the twinight dive while I stayed with my wife waiting for the guided night dive. They RAVED about it! They were so excited about the night dive. We went on the night dive (while my wife spent time in a dive bar - more explanation on request). It was the worst night dive I have ever been on. The DM went at a snail's pace. He did find a really cool crab I have never seen before, but that was about it. No octopus, no eels, maybe one lobster, no crabs. A whole lot of construction rubble, and not much else. My buddy and his daughter saw all the things I missed. I don't know where they went, but they weren't near us.
Sounds like more of a DM issue - are you allowed to do the twilight or night dive without a guide (assuming you’ve dived the site in daylight so are familiar with it for navigation)?

So sounds like more of a DM issue - are you allowed to do the twilight or night dive without a guide (assuming you’ve dived the site in daylight so are familiar with it for navigation)?

Twilight is allowed, as the dive shop is still open. The night dive is when the shop is closed.

I'm not going to dispute anyone else's experience on St Croix, but I dive the pier 2-3 times a week at night and Cane Bay on Sundays. I fell in love with the diving here so much that we moved here. I never dove the Caymans because I couldn't justify the expense when there were so many other dive sites.

Not trying to solicit, but you can see the critters I see at my social media sites (IG & FB) and this is only a small amount, critters come and go, we haven't seen a frog fish in weeks, but Friday we saw 5 seahorses, two Hairy Clinging Crabs, 5 or 6 octopuses and a host of other critters. a couple weeks ago seemed to be a batfish convention with 2 or 3 every night.

I still dive off the boats when my schedule allows, I really want to get to Butler Bay to dive the wrecks there.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I have been to both destinations. St. Croix has more to offer topside. With more interesting topography. The pier dive was my favorite on the island. We visited that on two separate days. We did one day of boat diving. It was cool to see the reef sharks buzzing by, but other than that,not much for marine life. During a surface interval lunch at Cane Bay, a fishing boat dragged a dead nurse shark to the Spratnet Cafe and proceeded to club a green moray to death on the beach. It answered my curiosity as to the lack of marine life. Keep in mind that the pier dive is limited to dates when are is no cruise ships.

Cayman Brac is a sleepy place with limited topside activities. The diving was enjoyable with stunning corals and quite a few eagle ray sightings. Marine life was not as abundant as Bonaire, Curacao or Cozumel, but I enjoyed the laid back, safe atmosphere of Brac. Overall, I would give Cayman Brac a better rating for diving.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and mine is that not doing a night dive at the F'sted pier would be a major miss. As far as shore dives, they really don't get much easier to do on your own -- just follow the pier columns out and back, and there are also "dolphins" (concrete rubble where critters gather) to either side of the pier that are worth exploring. While a divemaster can point things out, you can certainly find things there without a DM.

I dove it several times in daytime and night with my then-16 year old son and no DM -- still saw a ton of stuff, especially at night. Of course, I do recommend diving it during the day first to get your bearings, but super easy and good. You can rent tanks at night and return them the next day -- at least we could with Adventures in Diving STX (check out their punch card for tanks and weights).

I'm considering atrip to Saint Croix, I was not impressed with cayman brac

To get to Cayman Brac, you'll have to fly Cayman Airways

What can I say about Cayman Airways?
Inefficient
Illogical
Uncaring
Diabolical
Backwards
Devilish
Psycho

When you fly Cayman Airways, be prepared to miss your connection, have your seat given away to someone else without explanation. And bring a good credit card, because on weekends they don't make changes to your ticket if you miss a connection, and sometimes you have to buy a whole new set of tickets and get a refund later.

Try to avoid Cayman Airways except for the last leg to Cayman Brac (you don't have any other choices for that last leg).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom