St. Croix Jan/Feb 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We stayed at Divi Carina Bay - My wife is not a diver (physically cannot due to ear issues) so the resort we stay at is important. The Divi was older but very good. The food while not 5 star was more than eatable and quite often good. If you did not like what they were serving the bar had good food and the Pizza shop was also nice. Rooms were CLEAN, they mopped daily and you could smell the chlorine after they mopped. Some may not like this, but my wife was comfortable about walking barefoot in the room.

Diving / Snorkeling the bay at the resort is barren. The trades were blowing and there were strong x-currents so it is a little hazy, not murky but not clear.

St. Croix Undersea Blue water Adventures (SCUBA) was the dive shop I hooked up with. Great small parties diving, attentive to the balance of the group, and fun people to dive with. The first day there was a high mix of very experienced divers, second was novice, and third was above average experience level. With each of these, the staff kept everyone within their comfort range and allowed you to explore your limits safely. Having not dove in over a year I was a little nervous but "life's curve balls" put me back in my comfort zone quickly. Cudo's to the staff and owners for the way their shop is managed. (I mistakenly left gear on the boat and it was still there!)

Diving - There is definitely limits as to the quantity and quality of life on the reefs. Great selections of corrals and sponges, but limited schooled fish. That being said, I saw a great variety of fish, just not big schools of them. Sharks, turtles, eels, 'cuda, puffers, grouper, and the usual assortment of smaller fish. There are lionfish which is unfortunate, but adds a fun aspect of hunting them while on the dive. Overall, IMHO the variety of life that I saw here vs Cancun was much more spectacular, just the quantity is much lower.

Safety - At no time was I concerned for my safety. There are major problems on the island since the refinery was shut down as most of the jobs are gone and electricity is very expensive. I was informed that Exxon may have purchased the refinery and hopefully they will restart it.

Notes - RENT A CAR! Yes you drive on the left, but the max speed is 35 for most roads so you have plenty of reaction time if you make a mistake. There is a lot to see on different parts of the island so you can either drink your afternoon away or explore. Snorkeling over a the pier is very good and the trades are blown over the beach so it is quite smooth and easy to swim.
shark.jpgTurtle.jpg

Doghouse, thank you for the wonderful review. Your description of the DIVI (we're not the dive shop "at" the hotel we just have the nearest dive boat "to" the hotel), and us, St. Croix in general and the rental cars (highly recommended here and not that expensive) was spot on. One teeeeeny little error I'd like to correct is our name St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures. Your version still spelled out SCUBA (if you take the license to spell BLUEWATER as one word like we did). It took quite a few margaritas to come up with our version so we're sticking to it. Thanks again for the kind words.

Back
Top Bottom