St Clair River dive May 24th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underH2Oman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Heading to the St Clair river on Sunday May 24th. have a small group right now 4-6 divers
We are meeting in the parking lot just south of the Bluewater Bridge on Alexandra Ave in Point Edward. Beside the fry truck for 10:30
Planning on 2 dives. The current is strong in this area but it is generally mild near the shoreline in this area.
If you might be interested in diving let me know, so I know your are showing up.

the dives may be the Barge and Monarch for the first-Swimming out from the entry is a small barge that oftenhas an abundance of fish in the open holds. The current is strong at thispoint. Drifting from the stern of the barge downstream toward the Monarch yourgoal is to keep the sand on your left and the rocks on your right. You willdrift for about 2 minutes in around 30-35ft then the river will start to getdeeper. When it starts to get deeper you need to move more towards the leftinto the sandy area. While drifting you should see the Monarch within a minute.If you do not see it in a minute you have most likely passed it and should makeyour way to shore. Once back to the shoreline the current switches and travelsupstream at a slow pace. This allows you to exit at the same area you entered.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

the superman drift for the second, if you are OK with the current. For this dive we start at the mouth of the river or for a longer drift at Canatara Park. Here you will get pulled by the current into the mouth of the river and drift at a fast pace downstream. The goal is to pass under the Bluewater Bridge and then exit to the shoreline in the area of the barge and monarch. Some might work there way a little deeper at the mouth of the river as sturgeon can often be spotted there this time of year. Others may spend a little time on the shallow wreck at the west end of Canantara Park. the choice is yours.

Hope you have time for a couple of dives.

What time do you think you'll be doing the superman? I've been itching to do that dive for years and would love to tag along. I have an electrician coming over first thing in the morning but if it will be noon or so before going in I can make it.

What time do you think you'll be doing the superman? I've been itching to do that dive for years and would love to tag along. I have an electrician coming over first thing in the morning but if it will be noon or so before going in I can make it.

Hey AngloFish- I was away from computer after 4 Saturday and did not see your post until this morning. I am planning on returning to the St Clair for Canada Day if you are available then. The sturgeon will have left for deeper water then but it is still a great dive.

No worries, took us way longer to run power out to the back of the house than I though so I was hosed anyway. Might be camping that weekend but if not I'm in.

Hey AngloFish- I was away from computer after 4 Saturday and did not see your post until this morning. I am planning on returning to the St Clair for Canada Day if you are available then. The sturgeon will have left for deeper water then but it is still a great dive.

Would be up for some Saturday's in June and August if you are hitting the Niagara/St Clair rivers. Canada day will be spent in a 10hr layover in LA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will be in the Niagara a couple times, mostly Sundays. I have a buddy wanting t go do the Navy Hall drift this Sunday but not sure if I can make that one yet.
Will keep you posted.

Would be up for some Saturday's in June and August if you are hitting the Niagara/St Clair rivers. Canada day will be spent in a 10hr layover in LA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 09:02 AM ----------

Great I will make sure you get the details.

Yep just double checked and we go the weekend before and head back Tuesday so looks like I'm free.

Dean, can you tell me a little bit about the Navy Hall drift dive? I have done the upper Niagara drift from Fort Erie a couple of times but not the Navy Hall. where is this exactly and where do you normally enter and exit? perhaps you have a link to more details?

We are planning on entering at the end of East West line near the McFarland house. There is a marina just downstream so a short surface swim is needed to clear it and then descend in the river. It generally takes an hour in the 55ft range then exit at Navy Hall. It is best to use a surface marker if you ascend in the river. You can see Fort George from the water which gives you a target for the exit. There is a dock on the river at Navy Hall to exit at.

Back
Top Bottom