St Andrews Jetties - When Warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco24

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone give me an idea of when the water will be above 72 at the jetties? Mid April? May?

Whenever the gulf decides to get that warm :p

Its been a colder than typical winter.

The gulf is unpredictable.

You should watch the temps on the day-by-day basis, but I wouldn't start just yet.

I'd be confident in telling you that the water will be warmer than 72F in August. :)

I looked for a NOAA and similar buoy data but couldn't find one. The specific PCB one I found was out.

I keep a summary of conditions on my Panama City Diving webpage
Here is a sample of
Last year's Diving Conditions

6-06-09 Night Dive on the Black Bart- Vis 20', Temp 77*F, Max Depth 78'. Jim "shoots" a red snapper... with a camera.

6-01-09 Red Snapper Open for Spearing!- Vis 30', Temp 78*F, Max Depth 146'. Snapper for everyone!

5-17-09 Black Bart and Span 14- Visibility 40-50' Minimum Temp 72*F, Max Depth 78' Goliath Grouper Everywhere!

5-09-09 Twin Tugs, Accokeek, Black Bart- Visibility 40-80'!! Minimum Temp 70*F, Max Depth 102'

4-18-09 Spearing Trip Pyramids Reef- Visibility 20', Minimum Temp 66*F, Max Depth 80'. Strong Current, Big Bull Shark!

4-04-09 Stage 1, Commander and several limestone reefs- Visibility 40+', Minimum Temp 65*F, Max Depth 110'
600# Goliath Grouper on Stage 1!

3-16-09 St Andrew's Jetties- Visibility 15' Minimum Temp 66*F, Max Depth 61'
Portuguese Man-O-Wars in the kiddy pool!

3-13-09 Deep Reef Dives- Visibility 15-60'+, Minimum Temp 68*F, Max Depth 149'
We saw a massive 11'-14' shark (mako?) just before the first dive and turtles all day long.

3-07-09 Tarpon and Black Bart- Visibility 45', Minimum Temp 60*F, Max Depth 95'

3-06-09 USS Strength and Span 12- Visibility 30', Minimum Temp 60*F, Max Depth 71'

2-16-09 Spearfishing Sea Grove Reef- Visibility 30', Minimum Temp 57*F Max Depth 79'

its worth pointing out that Panama City has a pretty good thermocline into the first part of the Summer.

Its also worth noting that this winter was a hellovalot colder than the last 7 winters :)

Perfect PatMyGreen, that's the intel I needed, late may.....damn! May try earlier if I get a Merino :)

Last I saw was 75 degrees, anyone dove the Jetties,

but what now and God I hope no oil makes it over but I think at 85,000 gallons a day, or what ever insane amount is gushing and ruining the entire Gulf is screwed for 10 years or more. BP should be sued to bankruptcy for this egregious disaster.

Back
Top Bottom