St. Andrews Jetties: Dive Report 5/20/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennedc

Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to have to report all of this...probably the worst dive I have ever done.

My dive club was having their annual picnic at St. Andrews State Park in PC this weekend. High tide was 3:00 and should have been perfect timing for a great dive. Air temp was 87F. Water temp was 75F at surface and 73F at 50'.

The fam got suited up about 1:00...some wore 3mm suits. I wore my skin and jacket-shortie. I was thrilled with my fat fill of 3087 lbs, grabbed all my gear, and headed out. When I saw the water in the channel wasn't the normal beautiful green but had a yellow hue to it, I should have known something was up....ALGAE & SEAWEED!

Anyway...we waded out and put on our fins among all of the kiddies splashing and yelling, "Hey...there's another scuba diver!" (I don't like all of the pointing and staring, but anything for a dive, right?) Masks and snorkels on, we swam the 30 yards out to the jetties. (If you have never dived at the jetties, getting over/through the rocks is the tricky part, especially with all the urchins and the current beating the crap out of you and slamming you into the rocks). Nevertheless, over the rocks. The fam gathered, dive flag in tow, and we made our descent. Total crap viz. We're talking maybe 3 feet. In addition to all of the algae and seaweed, evidently we picked the perfect day for the first fish spawn...total yuck.

Had I have been by myself, I would have ditched the dive right then and there, especially since I scraped the back of my leg pretty good on the way over and was urchinized one time at least. But I was with the in-laws and decided to grin and bear it.

I would post some pics, but there is no need since I can't even tell what I was taking pics of 'cause the viz was so bad. Regardless, me and hubby managed 44 min, 54' max, average 23 feet. Temp was 73F. I was an air hog using 2118 as it was fairly disorienting trying to keep up with my hubby-buddy with viz so bad...if he was even 5 ft away, I couldn't see him or enough yellow on his gear to keep up. Total crap.

After the dive, we visited with the dive club, ate hotdogs, and headed home. Time to clean the gear...it was like slime revisited. That mess was in everything. It was totally gross when I cleaned out my snorkel. That junk was all in my suit. Yuck.

I was disappointed, but not all dives can be great. That's why I am looking forward to Blackbeards in a little over a week. Those should be much better! Too bad I couldn't have given a better report for this weekend, though!

Ouch! Sorry to hear about conditions, I hope you managed to have fun while swimming around in the soup.

Hi, from an EX yankee diver. I too was at this dive, at the invitation of one of the AQUARIANS members, who was also having a club meet eat and dive that day. Yes, there was much June grass floating around, but as a diver from up north, it was still an excellent dive. The water was "warm" and for me, it was about average vis. The fish were straight from an aquaruim, I never knew they came in colors! There was much to be seen in the 5'-20' range along the rocks. More life in ten feet, than I would see up north in a month of diving. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. One mans crappy dive, is another's, well, you know what I mean.

photohikedive:
I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. One mans crappy dive, is another's, well, you know what I mean.
Amen!
I never have a crappy dive. I just refuse to have a crappy dive. It's a matter of molding your search to the conditions at hand. If you can only see a foot, look for, and at, the stuff that's an inch long or smaller. The Lovely Young Kat & I agree that one of our most enjoyable dives was out of Panama City on the USS Strength, on a day when the vis was about 2-3 feet. Couldn't even see the length of the chain tied into the wreck. So we worked slowly along the ship's gunnel in touch contact, studying the tiny stuff... Juvie Beaugregory in brilliant purple and yellow, Belted sandfish spawning, countless minnows attacking the spawn, seaweed blennies smiling at us from their barnacle homes, crabs, snails, nudies, toadfish... we probably covered no more than twelve linear feet in a 40 minute dive, and saw more interesting critters doing more interesting things than we'd have seen had the vis been 100+ feet!
Make lemonade :)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Amen!
saw more interesting critters doing more interesting things than we'd have seen had the vis been 100+ feet!
Make lemonade :)
Rick

the beauty of diving, there seems to always be something new, even if it is just the joy of closing your eyes and floating weightless for a few moments. Or maybe I am just odd :D

Well you're odd, but thats not why! :D

I agree, gimme a crap vis day UW if it means getting wet!

The AQUARIANS was the picnic I was speaking of. Yeah...I should be thankful for the opportunity to just get wet.

bennedc:
The AQUARIANS was the picnic I was speaking of. Yeah...I should be thankful for the opportunity to just get wet.

that is a shame, I was there with Wayward Son, a regular poster here, and a member of your club. I didn't realize there was any other SB members there, I would have liked to said hi.

Oh, Stu.

Which one were you? Were you one of the guys over at the shower talking about planning an Oriskany trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom