Ssuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan The Man

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever heard of SSUBA?

www.ssuba.com

A (non-diver) friend just pointed it out to me. Looks like a cross between a hookah and a rebreather, or perhaps someone's april fools joke?

--Dan

Dan The Man once bubbled... Has anyone ever heard of SSUBA?

www.ssuba.com

A (non-diver) friend just pointed it out to me. Looks like a cross between a hookah and a rebreather, or perhaps someone's april fools joke?

--Dan
It looks interesting. Have you emailed them to find out how much the system costs and where the hoses are?

My understanding is that each diver needs a double hose and a special demand regulator. I doubt the hoses fit in that case unless they are really short.

I emailed them to confirm if this was for real. They replied...they are patent pending right now, and as far as I can tell they expect it to be ready summer 04. I then asked a little more about how it works, depth ranges, etc. It seems to me that the energy provided by my exhale would be quickly consumed by a pump that is trying to send air back to my depth. I just sent the message today, and I'm waiting to hear back.

It would be interesting, because most of my dives are shallow, and I spear fish, so lack of bubbles would be good without me having to learn (and buy) rebreather technology.

We are currently in development of this product, we've gone through a few design iterations so far. For instance, the 9" long minature tank had to move to a horizontal mount on a belt at the small of the divers back in order to get pressure readings. Our first thought was that when a diver ran out of compressed air that they would still be able to breathe what was in the system while they gradually assended, but some divers are wanting to take this down to deco levels. I'm still not sure about that idea, I wouldn't want my equipment that far away from me if I were doing a decompression dive unless it were mounted to the dive boat. The target audience are really divers down to about the 60' range for non-deco periods.

Moving the minature tank to dive level also improves safety since your compressed air is on hand, and it allows standard compressed air connections to BC, our original surface mounted tank required manual inflation of a BC.

The pump itself is really pretty simple (KISS), exhaled compressed air is driven into one side of a diaphram pump, compressing fresh air is pumped out the other side. The only real trick is to make it alternate. Our original prototype for that was entirly mechanical, but making that an electronicly switched system will improve efficiency and also make breathing easier.

Right now we are looking at a phased release, a shallow water unit without the compressed air system will be first, allowing divers to explore shallow reefs for several minutes at a time. Following that will be the full blown deep water unit. We hope to get the shallow water unit to ship in mid summer.

Thanks for the interest, please let me know if you have any other questions.

SSUBA-We hope to get the shallow water unit to ship in mid summer.

Summer of 2004? If so, where can I purchase and estimated price range

We are currently in development of this product, we've gone through a few design iterations so far. For instance, the 9" long minature tank had to move to a horizontal mount on a belt at the small of the divers back in order to get pressure readings. Our first thought was that when a diver ran out of compressed air that they would still be able to breathe what was in the system while they gradually assended, but some divers are wanting to take this down to deco levels. I'm still not sure about that idea, I wouldn't want my equipment that far away from me if I were doing a decompression dive unless it were mounted to the dive boat. The target audience are really divers down to about the 60' range for non-deco periods.

Moving the minature tank to dive level also improves safety since your compressed air is on hand, and it allows standard compressed air connections to BC, our original surface mounted tank required manual inflation of a BC.

The pump itself is really pretty simple (KISS), exhaled compressed air is driven into one side of a diaphram pump, compressing fresh air is pumped out the other side. The only real trick is to make it alternate. Our original prototype for that was entirly mechanical, but making that an electronicly switched system will improve efficiency and also make breathing easier.

Right now we are looking at a phased release, a shallow water unit without the compressed air system will be first, allowing divers to explore shallow reefs for several minutes at a time. Following that will be the full blown deep water unit. We hope to get the shallow water unit to ship in mid summer.

Thanks for the interest, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Six years have zipped by since the above entry from SSUBA. What has happened since then? Did a product ever go on the market? What is the status of the patent application that was pending in 2003? :admin:

It looks like another perpetual motion machine to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom