SSshhhhhhhhhh---computers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Suunto Cobra, mainly for its air integrating capability. When I bought it, I was going to do some further testing on swim fin design, which I still hope to do, but not this dive season. Since I don't usually dive decompression dives (my river is only 22 feet deep), I use mainly the data logging capability.

I use it on a single hose regulator, which I use as a safe second for my vintage diving. It'll sit on the second post, with my double hose on the main (center) post of my Sherwood manifold. I like the capability of graphing my dive, and logging the water temperature too. I'm still working on getting it into my dive log format though.

SeaRat

My wife and I have Aeris Atmos 1 's (Air Only) that we have been using for the past 2 years. The Atmos 2 would be the equivalent for a Nitrox compatible computer. We like them because they provide the basics: max depth, bottom time, dive planning... Not too many bells and whistles - plus I think we paid $150 each for them at the time.

You're pretty much staring at your depth, dive time, and NDL time during the dive - no scrolling waterfall display in your heads up scuba mask display of pulse, water quality, fish finder, or forward scanning sonar reading to worry about. :D There are a lot of similar hockey pucks out there (e.g. Oceanic etc).

We're vacation divers/ twice a year 10-15 dives. So, the simplicity and basic/important information is all that we need. Though I will admit, I'm a gear junkie. So, given unlimited resources, I would probably buy something higher tech.

On a related note though... I've got a question for the hoseless computer divers out there... I'm not familiar with how they work, but my understanding is that they do everything from the basics to calculating remaing dive time based on air consumtion rate - all the data that Nemrod (and probably myself) had a hard time sorting through on his buddy's computer. Does this mean that you don't carry an old-fashion pressure and depth gauge anymore? Maybe it's just me (and I'm fairly new to diving, not an old salt), but I'd be paranoid of not having the basic depth and tank pressure if my computer craps out on me.

SFScuba:
...On a related note though... I've got a question for the hoseless computer divers out there... I'm not familiar with how they work, but my understanding is that they do everything from the basics to calculating remaing dive time based on air consumtion rate - all the data that Nemrod (and probably myself) had a hard time sorting through on his buddy's computer. Does this mean that you don't carry an old-fashion pressure and depth gauge anymore? Maybe it's just me (and I'm fairly new to diving, not an old salt), but I'd be paranoid of not having the basic depth and tank pressure if my computer craps out on me.
In my Suunto Cobra manual, they recommended (if my memory is correct) a backup watch and depth guage be taken, even with the computer, and hard copy tables. I suppose that a backup analog pressure gauge wouldn't hurt either, but that's for you to decide (I don't, as I don't dive that deep most of the time).

John

Hey Nemrod, Let me know what you want and I can see what deal I can get you. Don't get messed over like the Legend. PM me. Karl aka scubaho, kgehring

I use a suunto mosquito wrist mount computer and keep my manual guages in my console as a backup. Computers fail, batteries die, sh** happens down there; and when it hits the fan I want to be able to see my depth, prssure, and heading.

I bought my Edge in '87 and still use it when I dive my vintage gear. I now mostly dive technical, both open circuit, SCR and soon CCR. My current computers are a little overkill; I use a monochrome VR3, Nitek He, and Vytek in guage mode for BT, and depth.

Back
Top Bottom