SSI/TDI v PADI Tec Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can back fin in any fin I have ever tried so far.

Ditto... and what's more, I can back kick quite fin with no fins at all. That makes a joke of any claims that you cannot back kick in X, Y or Z type of fins.

One drill I sometimes prescribe for students struggling with back kick (or other kicks and buoyancy issues) is to take the fins off. It increases 'sensitivity' and deters over exaggerated attempts - which is quite often the issue. On many occasions, the student has met some rapid success with no fins, but then struggled again (for a short while) once the fins went back on.

To me - it shows that technique is everything....and learning the technique is 50% physical movement programming and 50% sensitivity to the dynamics of where you are applying forces correctly. If a diver is used to 'powering' with fins, then it is hard for them to become 'sensitive' and make the back kick work. Applying too much force is what causes the jerky 'butt rising' result...very common. Removing the fins removes that temptation or instinct, I believe. Students are normally a little shocked once they start moving backwards (slowly) with no fins.....

Hi All,

I am newly qualified MSD (with PADI). So I am thinking about my next steps in terms of scuba training.

I have decided not to bother with Divemaster, I am not really into teaching and for me dives are just a fun way to relax at the weekend, so Divemaster route doesn't seem to fit.

There are a number of wrecks around Sydney that are just out of reach of the recreation dive limits and I need to take Tec training in order to dive them so this seems to be my next logical step for development of my dive skills.

Now the question... I see both SSI/TDI and PADI both have Tec courses, PAID's seems to be more progressive i.e. a further course for every 5 meters deeper whereas TDI seem to have a Advanced Nitrox + Deco course available that doesn't limit by depth (I could be wrong here).

My local LDS offer both PADI and TDI courses, they advise to move over to TDI as the course also trains you on the use of double's which is something I want to use whereas again I understand the PADI Tec 40 course is focused training on single tank only. Personally I would prefer to stay with PADI but not if there is a clear advantage to taking my Tec training with TDI. I would be keen to hear any thoughts and views on this subject to help me make an informed decision.

Many Thanks

I am glad I came across this thread, though 2 years old as I am looking at this exact same scenario. I intended on taking the TDI path. Lots of great information here and thanks to all that gave input....

I personally like the SSI courses. The materials are really good. You can download straight to your phone. They are very up to date as well.
Remember once you start learning tech it really isn't about depth any more. You need to master the basics before you move on to each course. Aim to get 25 dives at each level before moving up. Absolutely no need to rush this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom