SSI/ PADI Crossover Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get it. I like the 24 dive number, I just don't like the "you must get 4 specialties" aspect.

And regardless of the rules, AOW is a hurdle some dive operators require for some dives, and they don't distinguish
between PADI/NAUI/SSI/SDI/IDKY/WTFS.

Easy enough for them to say "AOW and 24 logged dives" if they want. Gets you to the same endpoint, I suspect.

I think it should a specific group of specialties. Deep, Nitrox, navigation, science of diving, Drysuit. Things a like that. Or proof of 50 dives in different conditions? Idk, there’s no perfect way, agencies want to make money so I get why they do what they do.

Right, so 4 OW dives and 5 AOW dives and you could be PADI AOW with 9 total dives. Doesn’t seem right to me, but I don’t make the rules. That’s why I prefer SSI and SDI AOW criteria.
To the non-diver wanting to learn, in today’s society, the 9 will win over 24. Diving has become a bucket list activity.

SSI has an “Advanced Adventurer” cert that is roughly equivalent to PADI AOW. For the full AOW cert, some shops offer a four course AOW bundle of four pre selected specialties at a significant discount. At my LDS they offer navigation, perfect buoyancy, deep and night/limited visibility specialties as a bundle for $420

Then definitely go the DIR route (or BSAC if available) with GUE as they are all about precision skills and team diving. Even if you have no interest in tech diving, work on a GUE fundies tech pass.

In your situation, becoming a dive pro makes no sense and will not help you with your goals really. I was an IDC staff instructor when I took fundies and it was the coldest shower of my life. If my goals were your goals, I would have saved time and money just sticking to their training.

Yes, this ^. If the goal is better diving, even as a pro, some sort of fundies/intro to tech/XR foundations (SSI version) is a great place to start. I would take this over perfect buoyancy any day. Once you’ve gotten fair mastery over to your fundamentals, conducting “demonstration quality” skills while teaching or being examined as an instructor is a much easier process.

Here is my view on the question:

Pros of PADI:
1) Worldwide Recognition: PADI is highly recognized across the globe. With PADI, you’re likely to be accepted to dive anywhere in the world.
2) Independence: PADI’s self-study methods are excellent for those who enjoy learning at their own pace.
Cons of PADI:
1) Cost: PADI courses tend to be more expensive than their SSI counterparts and increasingly charge unexpected add-ons after you finish your course!
2) Less Personalized: With a larger emphasis on self-study, there’s less one-on-one instruction compared to SSI.

SSI
SSI is known for its personalised training, with its instructors offering direct support throughout the learning process. The training is flexible, with the curriculum designed to fit the pace of the learner.

Pros of SSI:
1) Flexibility: SSI courses can be tailored to fit your schedule and learning speed, which is perfect for those who prefer a more laid-back approach.
2) Affordability: SSI courses are often less expensive than PADI courses.

After experiencing both, i find SSI a better choice overall.

PADI courses tend to <snip> increasingly charge unexpected add-ons after you finish your course!
Can you explain this with any more information?

Here is my view on the question:

Pros of PADI:
1) Worldwide Recognition: PADI is highly recognized across the globe. With PADI, you’re likely to be accepted to dive anywhere in the world.
This is BS. When has anyone been turned down with a mainstream agency? I keep hearing this but no one can provide proof of such.

2) Independence: PADI’s self-study methods are excellent for those who enjoy learning at their own pace.
I think this is BS as well. It is no different than anyone else.

Cons of PADI:
1) Cost: PADI courses tend to be more expensive than their SSI counterparts and increasingly charge unexpected add-ons after you finish your course!
Neither PADI nor SSI set prices for instructors/dive centers. The costs for the dive center/instructor is higher, but that isn't always passed onto the customer.

2) Less Personalized: With a larger emphasis on self-study, there’s less one-on-one instruction compared to SSI.
Having taught for both agencies, this is BS.

SSI
SSI is known for its personalised training, with its instructors offering direct support throughout the learning process. The training is flexible, with the curriculum designed to fit the pace of the learner.
It is? Not any more or less than any other agency. That all depends on the instructor and dive center to be customer focused.

Pros of SSI:
1) Flexibility: SSI courses can be tailored to fit your schedule and learning speed, which is perfect for those who prefer a more laid-back approach.
Same as PADI. I don't think it is possible to be more laid back than where I got my open water as then you'd be dead.

2) Affordability: SSI courses are often less expensive than PADI courses.
See above on pricing.

After experiencing both, i find SSI a better choice overall.
I do as well but not for the reasons you list.

SSI
It is? Not any more or less than any other agency. That all depends on the instructor and dive center to be customer focused.

Pros of SSI:
Same as PADI. I don't think it is possible to be more laid back than where I got my open water as then you'd be dead.

I'm agreeing with wet on this. I am strictly a PADI instructor, so won't comment on SSI specifically.

*PADI courses can be taught one-on-one. I'm doing so right now with an AOW student who is a 15 year old friend of the family. You can go at any pace the student and instructor are comfortable with. We did 2 dives last week, might get one in this week, and likely the last two next week.

*With my college students, we meet once a week for 3 hours in the classroom, spread the confined water dives over five weeks (once a week) and I schedule open water dives with them in groups of no more than 4, usually 2 or 3. This is set to match the rhythm of the semester.

*When teaching for the LDS, they set the schedule. This is not a PADI thing, but a LDS thing.

*I'm working with a general contractor (builder) who lives out of town. We managed to get through OW dives 1 and 2 in December, but he's been tied up since then and we haven't gotten 3 and 4 done yet. When his schedule permits, I'll do a refresher in the pool and we'll knock out 3 and 4 the next time he and I are both free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom