Question SSI independent / solo diving minimum equipment specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Acem77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I wanted to confirm what hardware is required by SSI VS opinions/recommendations from my dive shop.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

The items in question,
2 dive computers
40cu pony bottle

These both seem a bit much for my needs.

2 computers? Id assume the dive would end if either failed. I believe my full analog console would be good enough to ascend. The only use for the backup computer is a clock for the safety stop. Maybe NDL if I planned to dive again the same day while fixing or getting another dive. computer.. If needed I'll buy a cheaper backup.
My current computer is a pedix 2.

40cu pony bottle seems to be more than I would need. I believe 20cu would fit my use case.
I don't plan to go deep. Max 40ft. On average 15-25ft.
Id like to keep my self lighter and be able to mount it to my main tank.

Some background.
My backyard is literally Lake Erie and I can't stay out.
130+ dives, 58 official dives :wink:

I was officially certified last July. I have been going through and became certified in most of the classes SSI specified and or was recommend to eventually be certify for independent / solo diving

I have completed
Perfect buoyancy
Diver Stress & rescue
React right
Navigation
Night & low visibility
I achieved advanced open water diver and master diver status this last weekend.

I still have deep diving left to start and complete.

The items in question,
2 dive computers
40cu pony bottle

I don't see any problem with these two requirements at all. I dive with two, sometimes three, dive computers in any scenario solo or not. 40cu pony is excellent and covers all bases. I'd do Sidemount instead myself but 40cu is good too.

I agree with OP, the multiple computers especially are overkill. I dive a 40 as a pony, but if you are not going very deep then a 19 or 30 is probably adequate.

If you want to do the course, I would rent the stuff and then after you get the card buy what you think you actually will use.

Hello,
I wanted to confirm what hardware is required by SSI VS opinions/recommendations from my dive shop.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

The items in question,
2 dive computers
40cu pony bottle

2 computers? Id assume the dive would end if either failed. I believe my full analog console would be good enough to ascend. The only use for the backup computer is a clock for the safety stop. Maybe NDL if I planned to dive again the same day while fixing or getting another dive. computer.. If needed I'll buy a cheaper backup.
My current computer is a pedix 2.

40cu pony bottle seems to be more than I would need. I believe 20cu would fit my use case.
I don't plan to go deep. Max 40ft. On average 15-25ft.
Id like to keep my self lighter and be able to mount it to my main tank.

Some background.
My backyard is literally Lake Erie and I can't stay out.
130+ dives, 58 official dives :wink:

I was officially certified last July. I have been going through and became certified in most of the classes SSI specified and or was recommend to eventually be certify for independent / solo diving

I have completed
Perfect buoyancy
Diver Stress & rescue
React right
Navigation
Night & low visibility
I achieved advanced open water diver and master diver status this last weekend.

I still have deep diving left to start and complete.
Yes, you need Deep, and you also need 75 logged open water dives totallying 50h or more.

You are not required by course standards to purchase any additional equipment, but to get full value from the course a redundant computer and a 40 cur ft extra cylinder are a good idea......otherwise you are restricted to less than the course offers and it may say so on the card. If your com;puer fails, you want redundancy, NOT to have to abort the dive. If you need spare gas from a reg or tank failure at depth, you want to be able to make a properly slow ascent and do a safety stop, not to have to rush to the surface . From all depths allowed in the course, that is what the 40 will give you.
The shop should be able to provide a computer and a 40 for your use, either gratis or as rentals.

40 ft max depth.... you don't need much of a pony bottle and you don't need a computer either. However, they might be training you to dive a little deeper, while solo.

40 ft max depth.... you don't need much of a pony bottle
At 130' you don't need that much of a pony bottle.

Two computers is pretty much a requirement to my thinking. I have carried two on every real dive. I also do dual x-mitters on the first stage too.

Two is one and one is none.

IIRC, on my solo cert work it was two computers, two cutting implements, DSMB/spool, two independent air sources (80 on back, 17 slung), two signaling devices, compass, two masks (I think I had to do a 200 yd underwater swim without the mask though (?)), and the goofy schnorckel. and a slate/pencil - which actually got used for UW convo w instructor.

But I did "Self-reliant" diver, not "solo" diver.

Well Acem77 if you want that pony on your back, if you grab a steel one, you can remove some lead

Here is a 30, a three litre Faber steel tank next to a 125 a fifteen litre Faber steel tank as I breathe big

next to non biting sharks

yet

186 DSC06693.JPG

Imagine how compact the rig if you chose to use a 100 a twelve litre steel common as your main tank

You can dive free, also easy, as though you only have one tank on your back, and the sharks like it too

steel tanks hold more air

Do I look free, also, easy

Embrace the class learn what they want you to learn how they want you to learn it as learning is good

Size of the pony depends on depth, you want enough time to think a bit, then make a safe ascent. Don’t know what that second computer is for if you’re not in deco: a direct no-stop ascent is always an option with the diving I do, that’s the definition of “recreational” in this context.

Whilst I understand your context, dives change and become a different context

in this context

So then the biggest bottle thats comfy would be good in case you choose to go deeper
without having to surface first, and grab a bigger pony, also the second computer helps
as if your primary computer, fails, you then have until your secondary computer, fails, to
continue your dive although I can not imagine a valid reason for a direct no-stop ascent
and it is not in my vocabulary, I had to copy and paste, from your post, unless I suppose
you've lost track of time and don't have a pee valve and or done an uncontrolled ascent

squirt extra oxygen in your auxilliary bottle that's where you become autonomously solo

The items in question,
2 dive computers
40cu pony bottle

I don't know about SSI's equipment requirements for its Solo Diver cert, but, FWIW, I've been solo recreational diving almost exclusively for about 20 years, and I don't use a PDC at all. (I use analog gauges.) And I use different gear configurations depending on planned maximum depth, and none of these involves a pony bottle.

For shore diving, for a planned shallow dive (~30 ffw), I don't use anything "special." For a dive planned for a max depth of ~60 ffw, I'll use two complete regulators (in case of regulator failure). And for a dive planned for deeper than that, I will use baby doubles (for redundant air supply).

I make sure I stay well away from NDL, for both the initial dive and the repetitive dive.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom