SSI in 1986

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving_emtp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I originally got certified in 1986 through SSI. I was looking through my original log book and Open Water Dive #5 was a night dive.

When did night dives get moved from the basic open water course to advanced?

I'm assuming this was industry wide or were there only a select few certification agencies that did night dives during basic open water training?

Thanks

Curt

It was. I have the original SSI log book training records. It says right on top Open Water Dive #5 - Night dive.

Maybe I shouldn't have written "It was". However, I took SSI OW instruction in '86 and I remember doing a night dive as part of the OW instruction and I have the training records as I've already said. The other reason I know it was taken during the OW cert was the instructor was a young guy in his early 20's that did my entire OW course. A week or 2 after our OW cert a bunch of us did AOW and the instructor that did the OW course no longer worked at dive shop and the owner of the shop did the AOW.

Maybe someone could explain then, if it was never part of the OW curriculum, how is it that my training records reflect night diving as part of the OW cert.

Thanks

I was an NASDS (1026) and then an SSI instr back then..# was 1409...we did night as part of an advance course..was not a requirement for ow certification..I really do not remember if there had been 2 or 4 dives required for certification back then.Started out with no ow dives required for certification,then it was 2 then it became 4..Do not remember the dates when it all changed.Toooo looong ago.

Toooo looong ago.

Yeah, tell me about it. I wish I never had given up diving way back when. In land locked Missouri as a 16-17 y/o kid it was hard to find a dive buddy even though I lived on a lake. None of my friends dove so it just went by the wayside.

As far as AOW I believe it was 2 dives. I'll have to look in my log book

The instructor that did my OW was #2800 and the owner of the shop was #45.

Thanks for all the info.

diving_emtp

When did night dives get moved from the basic open water course to advanced?
Now that was fun. Thanks for making me blow the dust off of an old manual. Somewhere between 86 and 95 it must have been dropped. My 1995 manual has no reference to a night dive as dive 5 but dive 6 was a dive to basically cut the umbilical cord.

I still have the old Jeppesen manual and the Knowledge Review book that SSI used for the OW course.

I'm sure SSI / Jeppesen didn't call it Knowledge Review but that is essentially what it is.

diving_emtp

after I read that you had the old text book ,I had to see if I had one here myself..
Put out in 1981 called "Recreational Diving" a complete diving text..This is what we taught out of in that era. Written by Dr.Tom Jerussi,who was a personal friend of mine.
Tom was an instructor at a LDS where I also taught out of at the same time..Former officer US Navy Seal team.As far as I know he still does some competitive spearfishing.
Cost of book at the time (has a price sticker on it) was $11.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom